There are a number of reasons you may need to perform language translations such as schooling, for traveling, chatting with friends and family, and even for work. Learning another language is obviously not an easy task which is why so many people look to helpful items such as educational apps that take you through the basics and/or provide you with translations tools. Here’s a look at some top translation apps, all meant to help you in your quest to expand your language skills.
The best iPhone apps for translations
30 Jul 2016, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Not quite a Babel fish, Speak & Translate is the next best thing. A cutting-edge text and voice translator, users can communicate in any language around the globe. Users can simply dictate into the app whatever words require translation. The app will translate your words, in either text or audio format. Access 100 languages for translation into into text and 41 for translation into from text to speech. The app can handle 41 languages for translation from voice to voice. If you don’t know what language you are reading, simply select detect language and utilize the amazing language detection feature for text to text translation.
- Language translation from text to text
- Translation from text to speech
- Translation from voice to voice
- Identifies the language in text
- Free translation app for iPhone
A fantastic futuristic app for the globetrotter, Scanner & Translator can grab text from any printed source and translate it directly into any one of 90 languages. Unlock the world with the ability to read text in any language. Translate books, recipes, signs, newspapers, texts, manuals, menus, labels, and more. Simply snap a photo of text you want to translate. Users can edit and share their translation by text or directly to Facebook, Twitter, or other social media. Features include a history that allows users to save all translations for later viewing.
- Scanner translates text from any source
- Translate books, signs, newspapers and more
- Share by text or social media
- History allows later viewing
- Free text translator app for iPhone
It's never been easier to translate a different language then by using the iTranslate Voice - translator & dictionary app. All you have to do with this one is speak into your device and then it will start speaking in the language of your choice. The app supports 42 different languages and you could essentially have a conversation with someone else in real-time speaking two different languages. You’ll never have to type anything into the app this one is all audio-controlled. Additional features include the fact this one acts as a dictionary as well so you can look up definitions, again by speaking into the app. You can also send translations by Facebook, Twitter, email, or SMS.
- All translations are done by voice
- The app supports 42 different languages
- You speak into the app and it starts repeating what you’re saying but in the language you have chosen
- Share translations by Facebook, Twitter, email, or SMS
PolySpeak is a keyboard for your iPhone that will allow you to translate text into virtually any language. Users simply download the free app and then activate it from within the settings menu on their iPhone. Features include a handy swap button that allows you to switch between languages easily. Your language choice is saved for your next use, so there is no need to choose again when you activate the app later. If you make an error, simply tap the undo button. Users will love the english to emoji translation feature. The app can handle over 85 languages, which is the most for any translation keyboard now available!
- Translate text through keyboard
- Installs translation keyboard onto your iPhone
- Choose from over 85 languages
- Supports english to emoji translation
- Free translation keyboard for iPhone
For a wide variety of language translation support look no further than the iTranslate app. This one features more than 90 different languages, which means the odds are high that it has what you're looking for. This app makes it possible to translate text, phrases, and words. You've got the ability to customize the settings such as the speech rate and whether you want to hear a female or male voice. If you upgrade to the premium version you won't even have to type in the text, you can just speak it. All translations can be shared by Twitter, Facebook, SMS, and email.
- The app supports 90 different languages
- Speed up or slow down the voice translation
- Hear a male or female voice
- Share translations by Twitter, Facebook, SMS, and email
- Translate text, phrases, and words
iTranslate ~ free translator app review
There's no need to spend a fortune on language lessons, software, and books in order to translate; instead you can turn to the Free Translator app. This one makes it possible to translate to 59 different languages. Despite the fact that this one is free it offers an impressive amount of advanced tools and features. Features include being able to adjust the size of the font, you can use this app in landscape and portrait mode, you can do a language swap, zoom in, and any translations you've done in the past will be stored in your history for offline use.
- A cost-effective way to translate
- The app supports 59 different languages
- Adjust the size of the font, use it in landscape and portrait mode, zoom in, change your pairings, and more
- Your past translations are available to you offline
Translate Text app review: a free translator that supports so many languages, it loses focus
It doesn't matter what your reason for translation is - whether you're a student, you are heading out on a trip, or you want to be able to converse with friends and family overseas the Translate Professional app will help you. This one makes it possible to translate between 50 different languages and all the translations are fast and simple. There is offline access to over 300 translated phrases and you can listen to translations in 18 languages. This one is set up to be very basic and easy to use yet its features aren't so basic.
- This one is simple and quick to navigate
- It has a basic looking user interface
- It supports 50 languages
- The phrase book gives users offline access to more than 300 commonly used phrases
- There are voice translations in 18 languages
Translate Professional app review: the only translation tool you'll ever need!Translate Professional app review: instant translation for better communication
Translate just like a pro and wow your friends and family when you use the myLanguage Pro app. This app supports 90 different languages and all translations are done by native speakers. Standout features include a translation history with a search tool, you can share translations by text message and email, you can do a source/target language switch, you can zoom in on translations, and the app will help you figure out the proper pronunciation of the translations. Many of the languages offer audio translation from native speakers so you aren't left trying to sound them out and guess on your own.
- Translate with ease
- Make use of the search tool
- Share translations by text message and email
- Do a source/target switch
- Zoom in on translations
- There are audio translations from native speakers
Translate Text into spoken voice app review: the leading language translation and learning community
Language translations can be fast and easy when you have the right tools to help you out and that's what the SDL Translate app aims to be. This one offers real-time translations all you have to do is speak into the app and the translation will occur. There are 90 different language pairings and it supports 40 different languages. It’s capable of translation documents, speeches, and text. It can help with everyday translations as well as your school work. Because it's translating in real-time you can also have a conversation with someone in real-time. Additional features include being able to translate emails, online articles, and you can make use of the common travel phrases.
- The app supports 90 different language pairings and 40 languages
- It offers real-time translations so you can converse with someone else
- Translate documents, speeches, emails, text, articles, and more
- There are common travel phrases
For the ultimate translation reference tool the Reverso Translation & Dictionary in context app a great route to take. This one features instant translation of eight different languages and the user interface has been designed to be modern, sleek, and very user-friendly. View natural pronunciation of the included example phrases, your own translations are available offline, and there are even expression and word suggestions. All your translations can be shared by social media and by email. This one has a unique look to it that you don't find in many of the translation-based apps and it may just be exactly what you've been searching for.
- The app is unique looking
- The user interface is simple and basic
- The app supports 12 different languages
- Your translations are available offline
- Share translations by social media and email