Do you enjoy writing songs as a hobby or creative outlet? Are you a professional song writer looking for some tools on the go? If you answered yes to either question, then check out our list of the best iPhone apps for writing songs. This lists contains many different tools that will help you to write songs, record songs, share your work with others and so much more.
The best iPhone apps for writing songs
8 Aug 2017, by Rick Rockwell
Created by classically trained composers who also write rock and pop songs, this app will bring out your inner musician as you learn how to compose your own music. This app begins with a small introduction and goes on to teach how a chorus should be arranged. This is all that is covered in the free app, but an in-app purchase lets users access much more including a small amount of useful music theory, major scales, creating chords, songs, and much more.
- Created by classically trained composers
- Learn to compose your own music
- Learn how the chorus of a song should be arranged
- Free song writing app
- One-time in-app purchase to access the full version
This app is the equivalent of having a mini studio at your fingertips. You can write your own songs or choose to collaborate with friends on music, and then record it all right there in one convenient app. The sophisticated sound mixer also lets you make adjustments to tracks with ease. Get feedback from other pro and amateur musicians in the MusicLinx online community.
- Write your own songs
- Collaborate with friends
- Record music
- Share your music with the online community
- Effects mode to try out different audio enhancements
Created especially for those who would like to improve their guitar-playing skills, Tabd is an app that will help you create guitar tabs quickly and easily. The app supports not just simple chords and notes but also all the flourishes of guitar playing such as bends, slides, muted strings, hammer-ons, and pull-offs. Create a recording of up to 15 seconds per riff to convey your exact style. You can then share your riffs with friends and they can learn from you. Collaborate with your friends and chat with them from within the app
- Create new riffs and write the tabs
- Record up to 15 secs of audio
- Add flourishes to your notes
- Share your riffs with friends
- Chat and collaborate with friends
Write music anytime, anywhere with this app, which is created with the iPhone and iPad user in mind. It is designed to simplify music composition and therefore allows users to write music by simply tapping keys on a "notes and chords" keyboard. Furthermore, it also acts as a learning tool for those who wish to learn or teach music composition. It will help you enhance your music notation-reading skills as you input notes and play them back.
- Music composition tool
- Easy input of notes and chords
- Input lyrics
- Use over 10 instruments in multiple tracks
- Learning tool for teachers and musicians
It is true that the best ideas seem to emerge when the mind is free. Rhymer's Blocks is an app that will allow you to capture your inner artist as soon as the inspiration strikes. Designed specifically for the written word, this app lets you jot down your words instantly. Your notes will be uploaded to the cloud and safely stored there until you'd like to revisit it. The app provides rhyming suggestions to help you through writer's block. Rhyming words are color-coded to help you visualize the rhyming scheme. The interface is highly customizable to boot.
- Capture your inner artist - jot down notes quickly
- Notes are securely saved on the cloud
- Rhyming suggestions are provided
- Highly customizable interface
- Color-coded rhymes to help you visualize the rhyming scheme
Made for the focused and serious songwriter, this app will help you unleash your creativity when it comes to writing music. Write down your lyrics, drop in your chords, and record the music you've written all in one neat and organized place. Unlike other apps that give preference to social media, this app allows sharing via email to keep you undistracted from the temptations of news feeds. All your work will be safely stored in the cloud and can even be accessed through the Apple Watch. The user interface has a beautiful full-screen mode for you to work on, so that you remain focused on your goal of writing music.
- Write your lyrics, add chords, and record tunes
- Share via email - uncluttered by social media integration
- Keeps your data safely stored in the cloud
- Works with the Apple Watch
- Works in full-screen to provide you with a focused environment
Virtual Music Composer is the ideal app for those who are looking to create some interesting music but don't have much of a background in music theory or playing instruments. Users can familiarize themselves with different genres and chord structures as you command your "virtual band" to play, say, a rock hook in B minor. Experiment with different combinations until you find one that strikes a chord. Once you find a combination you love, you can get that sample as a midi, .wav, or .m4a file. You can also pick out the instruments, the tempo, and arrangement of a song. Though the app, which costs $4.99, is quite diverse, an in-app purchase of the same price unlocks more genres and file formats.
- No need to wait for inspiration - find the chord and genre you love
- Experiment and familiarize yourself with different keys, genres, and chords
- Get samples as .midi, .wav, or .m4a files.
- Choose the instruments you'd like to play
- Set the tempo and arrangement according to your wishes
For those who are interested in songwriting, particularly the lyrics, this app is a great one to help you weave together the words into the music. Import your music tracks into the app and start creating lyrics line by line as you listen to the song. Each line can be tapped to lock it into the correct timestamp so when you return to the song, you can see the lyrics flow with the music at the right time. You can also share your masterpiece with friends and get their feedback - or get them to sing along to your new song!
- Import songs and create lyrics
- Edit lyrics and adjust according to the audio
- Line-by-line input
- Tap on each line to fix the timestamp
- Share lyrics with ease
With over 100 minutes of training, this app aims to help its users learn songwriting with Ben, Al, and Mike, who teach songwriting through their journey to SxSW, one of the biggest networking events. After their recording, they come back home to NYC Dubway studios and finish up remastering of the music. There are 27 videos that will take you through the journey from start to finish, enabling you to learn various elements of songwriting. The app supports AirPlay so you can watch all the amazing lessons on a big screen.
- 100 minutes of songwriting training
- Covers recording various instruments
- Teaches how to write lyrics
- Mastering the software to finish musical pieces
- AirPlay support
MOGUL is an innovative app that facilitates writing, recording, and sharing of music, and created for urban artists. This free app contains a resource full of free beats which users can import to create their music. Rhymes, synonyms, and antonyms are also easily searchable in the app to help write song lyrics. Furthermore, recording can be done in two tracks, one for vocals and one for the beat. Additional tracks can be used via an in-app purchase of $0.99. Social media integration also allows users to share music with ease.
- Created for urban artists
- Import from a resource of beats
- Look up rhyming words, synonyms and antonyms
- Universal app
- Share music with ease via SoundCloud, Facebook, or Twitter