Interactive books can be a lot of fun especially for kids. If you have kids who enjoy these books, then check out our list of the best interactive books for the iPad.
The best interactive books for iPad
21 Jul 2016, by  Joseph Batcagan
The iPad is the perfect iDevice for reading interactive books and immersive stories. Sometimes, these stories can really capture your imagination and touch you in a way that you might not experience with any other medium. TooFar Media’s app is a great example of this. Not only are the stories by author Rich Shapero spellbinding and creative, but they are unique experiences that cause readers to drift from reality into fictional worlds. Each story is unique, filled with stunning graphics and accompanied by original tracks. The combination of these factors make this app a must have for any adult who enjoys fictional work that transports you into another world.
- Immersive stories by Rich Shapero
- Three different adventures, One satisfying experience
- Each story has its own musical player and tracks
- Stories are highly praised by critics and fans
- A must have app for adult fiction enthusiasts
This app has over 10,000 stories to choose from, across a wide range of genres like adventure, romance, comedy, fantasy and interactive children books. When you decide on a story, you can make the choices that determine the success of the characters and the path of the story. You can find love, solve mysteries, participate in a character’s daily life, and much more. There are numerous in-app purchases to participate in stories and acquire more stories. There’s something for everyone in this app.
- Over 10,000 stories to choose from
- Some stories are very immersive and interactive
- Wide range of genres to choose from
- Solve mysteries, Find love and romance, Choose the outcome
- Numerous in-app purchases within the app and the stories
Just imagine having an army of the dead at your disposal and you can use this army to seek revenge on neighbors, classmates and more. Well, that’s the premise behind this interactive horror story and it’s quite entertaining. In fact, some might find it very hilarious. Choose your gender and sexual orientation, manage the undead, exact revenge and be a great host. This app is text-based, which means it’s without graphics and sound effects. However, your imagination is all you need to really immerse yourself in this story. The free version is limited in chapters. An in-app purchase unlocks the whole story.
- Command an army of the dead
- Choose gender and sexual orientation
- Decide how the story will go
- Text-based, No graphics or sound effects
- In-app purchase for more chapters
With this app, you will never view Vincent Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” the same again. In fact, this animated app is hypnotic and strangely therapeutic. You can zoom in on the landscape, listen to background music and really turn this into an experience unlike any other. When you move your finger across the painting, the special effects are impressive and mesmerizing. There are two speed modes, three responsive soundtracks, enchanting animations, tap gestures and much more. This is an app that you actually have to try out before you can really believe why it’s on this list.
- Based on the famous Van Gogh painting
- Tap gestures, Two modes, Two speeds
- Enchanting animation, Dynamic Interaction
- 3 responsive soundtracks
- Immersive 3D zoom and pan capabilities
One of the iPad’s many advantages is that it can make dry-boned subjects like Ancient History really fascinating, thanks to its capacity in allowing the reader to interact with the “book” however they want it. This app is the best example of it.
- “Bubble Viewer” technology allows full-on rotation of environment, akin to a FPS game
- Full 3D views
- Accurate recreation of famous Roman architecture like the Colosseum
- Thoroughly researched
- Offers a breezy read
Intended mainly as a study aid for students who happen to be taking up Shakespeare for the semester, this app also serves as a fantastic deconstruction behind the story of Macbeth and how this classic play can still be relevant in the modern era.
- Fully animated in a distinct 2D art style
- Professional voice acting featuring theater-influenced speech cadences
- Translations to “modern” language available
- Notes and study guide to aid in the understanding of the story
- “Character relationship map” keeps track of all characters and how they relate to each other
If you don’t know who Ansel Adams is, then this app provides a fine introduction to the famed landscape photographer who helped put the US in the map as one of nature’s most beautiful places on earth.
- Coffee table book-styled layout
- Hi-res photos takes advantage of iPad’s graphical capabilities
- Centers around Adams’s shots of the Sierra Nevada mountain strip
- Captions help contextualize the images
- “Letters and Images” profile Adams, his work, and his life
Think the movie “version” of it is better? Well, if there’s anything that we know from storybooks, it’s that the best ones are narrated straight to an audience of children!
- Recreates the classic tale in an exclusive iPad format
- Fully narrated
- Colorful animations
- Fully interactive
- Immersive sound effects
This app, made for three to eight year olds, comes packed with illustrations to encourage children to read starting from an early age.
- Free app
- Free book called Daring Dinosaurs for trial
- Personalized books
- Name the main character after your little one
- Immersive storytelling
Introduce your child to some of the classics you read as a little kid with the help of this awesome app.
- Contains childhood gems from Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves to The Ugly Duckling
- Fully illustrated
- Custom animation for each story
- Offers option for your child to “narrate” the story
- 24/7 support
What’s with Hollywood’s obsession with “remaking” children’s stories, anyway? Nevertheless, this app is one of the better offerings on the interactive book market!
- Allows your child to read along with the story
- Custom artwork
- Every drawing on the screen can be interacted to
- Intuitive interface
- Responsive customer support
Chemistry is really not that boring. And if you’re still not sold on this notion, then this beautiful app shows you all of the stuff you’ve been missing out on during chemistry class!
- Mixes text and multimedia into one gorgeous package
- Every element is represented succinctly and graphically
- Creative icons for each element make sure that the subject matter can be relatable to anyone
- Full rotating 3D view of every element
- Optional 3D specs to heighten experience sold separately
This award-winning app is the kind of app that will forever remain the standard against which all future apps are evaluated!
- Gesture-base controls like reading a real book
- Three reading modes
- 29 pages of text
- Supports more than 5 languages
- Best Kids’ App Ever winner
Here’s another classic tale that is sure to provide a beautiful, fun, and enjoyable reading/learning experience for your little one.
- Animated storytelling
- Very stunning images
- Teaches counting
- Lets your child read along
- Very engaging interface
If you want interactive storybooks in one place, simply grab this app!
- Two books released every week
- Always new books to read
- Stories from all genres
- Three reading modes
- Listen or read
Professional narration and stunning illustration, this app has both and will serve to make your child a lot more conducive to going out for social gatherings!
- Read with the narrator
- Pick up the language faster
- Share stories with ease
- Read or listen to the story
This app comes with more 150 books that can be with you at all times, whether in a car or a cafe with your kids.
- Award-winning app
- Various subscription options
- Single issues available
- Great for educators and students too
- Hand-picked selections