Whether you're an amateur astronomer, or simply enjoy looking up at the night sky and gazing at the stars, then check out our list of the best stargazing apps for the iPhone.
The best stargazing apps for iPhone
29 Jan 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
This stargazing app is an astronomy suite that redefines how you experience the night sky. With this app for stargazing you can explore the Solar System, 120,000 stars, over 200 star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, and dozens of asteroids, comets, and satellites—including the ISS. SkyPortal includes everything you need to experience the night sky in an exciting new way. When connected to a compatible Celestron WiFi telescope, you can automatically point the telescope to any object in the database and view it with great detail.
- Simulate the night sky from anywhere on planet Earth, up to 100 years in the past or future.
- Control compatible Celestron WiFi telescopes with sophisticated mount modeling for quick and accurate go-to alignment.
- Animate transits, conjunctions, eclipses, and other events with SkyPortal's Time controls.
- Explore the sky with Night Vision turned on, and preserve your eyesight after dark.
- Learn the history, mythology, and science of the heavens with SkyPortal's hundreds of object descriptions.
Point your device at the sky and see what stars, planets, galaxies and constellations you are looking at in real-time. If you are at least a bit interested in Astronomy, this app is a must! Download Star Gazer+ now and enjoy it all.... Become the astronomer you always wanted to be!
Star Gazer+ knows which stars, planets, galaxies and constellations are hiding from your view! No matter what weather it is or if it is broad daylight.
Receive you daily news articles.
Receive weekly information about what you can expect from the sky and
Observation tips and techniques!
Star Gazer+ is a great way to discover the universe and learn about astronomy!
This free app has been highly touted by a variety of online publications, as it guides you to the real-time locations of the stars and constellations as well as the moon and the sun using your iPhone's GPS.
- Utilizes the iPhone’s camera as its viewfinder
- Simply hold your phone up to achieve full functionality
- Discover the different objects in front of you
- Choose future or past dates
- See what the sky looks like at a certain time
Here's another free astronomy app which includes a 3D star map, planetarium, ephemeris with notifications, a sun clock, and other cool astronomy-related features.
- Good 3D interface
- Very interesting features
- Search and find different stars, satellites, and missions
- Simulate the sky in any place on the globe
- Useful if you have a friend abroad
With over eight million downloads, this free app is bringing awesome astronomy-related features to users around our planet.
- Perfect for learning more about planets
- A 3D guide for the amateur astronomer
- Learn about each planet
- Know how you can view planets in the night sky
- Rotating 3D globe
Search for planets, stars, constellations, star clusters, galaxies, and even nebulae that are observable from your location using this app, which is suitable for both beginners and advanced astronomers. StarMap 3D+ app review
- Useful for “casual” astronomers
- HD retina graphics
- Real-time astronomical positions
- 100,000 starry database
- Updated database
Learn about all the objects you see in the sky by scanning them through the built-in camera that comes with this iPhone app. Star Rover app review
- Fantastic planetarium app
- Determines your location in real-time
- Know what the Milky Way looks like
- Beautiful graphics
- Equator grids
This highly successful app will help you navigate through outer space, bringing an astronaut's experience to your fingertips. StarTracker app review
- Perfect for native iPhone functions
- Full AR functions
- Location set by GPS
- HQ graphics
- Beautiful interface
Not only will this app help you navigate through space but you can also use the fun Time Scroll feature to move forward or backward through time. StarMap 3D app review
- Complete gyroscope functions
- Supports all iOS functions
- Lists all latest 98 constellations
- Detailed astronomical info
- Complete location-based service
Renowned scientist and astrophysicist, Brian Cox, takes you through the wonders of the universe in this classic BBC app. Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe app review
- Bleeding-edge graphics
- Lets you take a mindbending journey
- Interlinked scaling functions
- Excusive BBC videos
- 24/7 support