History can be a dull, boring subject, but when it comes to using apps to learn about it, boredom is in the past (no pun intended). People understand the importance of history and the iPhone is the perfect tool to gain access to video, photos, and even interactive 3D. There aren't a ton of apps out there, but the ones that are, are really well done. Check out our list of the best world history apps for iPhone.
The best world history apps for iPhone
14 Jan 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
The world history app is for you if you are interested to know what happened on a certain date?
You want to know which famous people have the same birthday with you? 100,000 events, births, and deaths are available offline for you in this amazing app.
Most entries have links to Wikipedia. With a network connection, simply click on the hyperlinks on the entries for more information on Wikipedia.
- Display historical events, birthdays and deaths
- User friendly interface: jump to any date on a calendar by clicking on the date
- Tap on an entry to share interesting events with friends via Facebook, Twitter and Email
- Over 100,000 events available offline
- Hyperlinks to full articles on Wikipedia
HistoryHit.TV is the app for instant access to a library of films and audio shows, available to watch and listen to wherever you are. A history video-on-demand service for people with an interest and passion for history everywhere. Alongside a growing library of films, each month we'll be highlighting new seasons of programmes specially curated by the HistoryHit team.
- Original exclusive content from the world's top historians
- Great history documentaries from the archive
- New content every week
- 7 Day Free Trial
The Historia app is a quiz you can take to see how much you actually know about world history. All you have to do to play is try to find the date of the historic events in the selected category. The closer you are to the date the event occurred, the higher your score. You will earn a book for your library when you gain enough points. Do you consider yourself a history expert? If so, try out this app and see if you can claim bragging rights. If you find you need to brush up on your history knowledge, this app will help.
- Historic events quiz
- Guess the date for events
- Boost your knowledge as you play
- Earn more points the closer you are to the actual date
- Free world history app for iPhone
Today In History takes note of every major event in human history and you can read it in the app. Find out about iconic global events and fun tidbits of information from all across the world, delivered to your device every morning. You'll be able to read all the events of the day or you can narrow your selection down to a specific category like Deaths, Holidays, Births, Events, and more. You'll read quotes from historic figures, experience events from different angles, and gain some new perspective and insights. You can share your favorite facts to social media and challenge your friends and co-workers with historical trivia.
- Check every morning to see what major events in human history took place on that day
- Iconic global events
- Quotes from historic figures
- Experience historical events from different angles and perspectives
- Free with in-app purchase to remove ads
NextExitHistory is a fantastic app that brings to life historical places and things by presenting users with the history through images and text. There are over 60,000 historic locations in this app and the list is growing. There’s an interactive game within the app that’s designed for those “history hunters” where you can collect badges for checking in at various historic sites. View on a map where these historic places are located and compare it to your current location.
- A great way to learn about historic places near and far
- View historic places on a map, See if any are near your location
- View photos and read about these historic places
- Over 60,000 historic locations
- Play the History Hunter game, Collect badges
If you are a history buff then put your trivia skills to the test with this fun app. It covers a wide range of cultures and historic periods, disasters and other history items that aren’t common or taught in school. There are 4 difficulty modes, entertaining commentary, track player data, unlock achievements and more. Play alone or bust out this app when you are with a group of friends and see who the history guru is.
- A history trivia game
- 4 levels of difficulty, Play with others or alone
- Covers a wide range of history and topics
- Track player data, Commentary
- Unlock achievements
World History Dictionary: SMART Guide to Glorious Past offers over 7500 historical terms, information on the great wars throughout history, and different categories of information like Political Reforms, Wars, Major Dynasties, and more. You get the Glyph Translator where you can have your own text translated into ancient languages, This Day That Time that shows you what took place on a certain date in different years, EduBank that allows you to save your favorite terms or events, Quiz to let you test what you've learned, and Contribute where you can make a contribution to the app by suggesting historical events that you know.
- More than 7500 historical terms
- Different categories
- This Day That Time
- Glyph Translator
- Free with in-app purchase to upgrade to Premium
Encyclopedia of World Knowledge by Farlex gives you access to over 330,000 articles, 24,000 images, and more than 77,0000 audio pronunciations from trusted sources like Cambridge University Press, McGraw-Hill, Harper-Collins, and more. This app will help students, teachers, or those curious about the world around them with in-depth articles on a huge amount of different topics. Read about entries in categories like Art, History, Science, Business, Countries, Music, Culture, Animals, Technology, and others. You can see search suggestions as you type, view your recent searches, and save unlimited bookmarks. You have the ability to perform advanced searches and adjust the font size, too.
- Share favorite articles via text, email, and social media platforms
- Use native voice search
- Unlimited bookmarks
- All content immediately accessible
- Perform advanced searches
Ben Franklin's World is an early American history podcast and now you can listen to it on your iPhone. You can star your favorite episodes, stream from anywhere, download and play offline, and resume episodes where you left off. Stay updated with the latest episodes, and enjoy playback controls like speed 1x, car mode, sleep timer, and continuous play. You'll get in-depth notes and resources, engaging interviews, and the community is like no other. If you're a student, teacher, or just love history, this is definitely a must-have app.
- Early American history podcast
- Stream from anywhere
- Download and listen offline
- Playback controls
- Free podcast app
BBC History Magazine is, of course, the UK's bestselling history magazine. Now you can enjoy it on your iPhone and explore a variety of international and British topics covering personalities and events of the past going back as far as ancient civilizations. Each issue has a reviews section, fascinating articles to read or listen to, wonderful images, and more. The content and layout is fantastic and if you love the paper magazine, you will enjoy the app version. Learn about Winston Churchill, the Romans, the Greeks, and Henry VIII and everyone in between.
- Digital version of the UK's bestselling history magazine
- International and British topics
- From ancient civilizations to the World Wars
- Key events and personalities of the past
- Subscription required