Encouraging kids to be creative only helps them in the long-run, but finding ways to engage with them can be difficult. This list of apps is dedicated to providing all kinds of fun tools and features that will bring out there inner creativity in some wonderful ways. These apps have different themes and different goals so you may even want a few of them to keep the kids busy with.
The best iPhone apps for creative kids
20 May 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Code Karts introduces pre-coding to children from the age of 4 through a series of logical puzzles presented in the form of a raceway. Learn to count in binary with 5 new games. Kids will learn to count like a computer using only 0 and 1 numerals. These activities will sharpen their problem-solving skills and develop their understanding of the decimal system.
- 2 modes: Classic or Competition (race against the device)
- Develop sequencing, problem solving and logic
- 70+ levels
- 21 languages
Kids who are fans of the Chuggington TV show will love the Chuggington Trainstastic Adventures Free app as it includes all their favorite characters and of course plenty of creative fun. In this game they will be able to take part in activities, watch episodes from the show, and they get to build their own Chugginton. They will love collecting all the train pieces that they can then install and use in the Build and Play mode, there are additional packs with added adventures that you can purchase, and kids will be rewarded with huge firework celebrations.
- Providing kids with all the fun of the Chuggington
- There are activities, build and play mode, and episodes to watch
- All their favorite characters are here
- There are additional adventures you can purchase
- The graphics are fun and engaging
Kids just love to finger paint but parents don't often love dealing with the mess that is left behind. The Monster Coloring Book app can work as the perfect solution as kids can still enjoy finger painting and being creative but in a mess-free virtual sense. Here they can make use of paints if they choose but there is also crayons and markers giving them a nice variety of mediums. The app uses touch functionality so even young ones can use this app. There are more than 175 monsters they can color in, which means they've got hours' worth of fun ahead of them.
- There are more than 175 monsters to color in
- They will have hours' worth of fun
- Choose from finger paints, crayons, and markers
- The app uses touch functionality so it is easy to use
- The app supports AirPrint
- There are also stickers to make use of
- Create any type of book you want
- Add photos and music to your book
- Make use of the editing tools
- Publish your book to the iBooks Store
It's time to let your child's inner artist out with the Drawing Pad app. This one is perfect for kids of all ages and gives them the ability to be creative with colored pencils, paint brushes, markers, crayons, stickers, and roller pens. All they have to do is tap on their tool and then they are free to start their masterpiece. Additional features include being able to import one of your own photos to use as the background, makes use of the stickers, rotate and resize items, blend colors with ease, and know that their work is always being automatically saved to the Drawing Pad album.
- Let kids get creative with drawing
- There are a wide range of tools to make use of
- Kids can blend colors, use stickers, rotate and resize items, and more
- Their work is automatically saved to the Drawing Pad album
- Work can be shared to Facebook, Twitter, and by email
- The app supports AirPrint
Best iPad Apps For ToddlersDrawing Pad app review: the full-featured art studio and canvas for your tablet
Who knew that drawing with your finger could allow you to create such amazing results. The Doodle Buddy Gold app is ideal for kids thanks to its simple functionality. They will be able to finger paint and even make use of the paint drops that create a special effect. Additional features include being able to add text, making use of stamps, there are sound effects, there are stencils to follow, and you can draw with other people on the app. When they are ready to start a new doodle they can just shake the screen to clear it.
- The app can be used by all ages
- There are stamps and sound effects to experiment with
- There are plenty of stencils
- The app simulates the same experience as finger painting
- Shake the device to clear it and start over
Instead of downloading multiple games you can download the Bugs and Buttons 2 app and get all kinds of games in one. This is a sequel to the original app and the sequel has 18 more games. That means kids have that many more challenges to take part in, that many more learning experiences, and of course that much more fun. The illustrations are 3D which makes them come to life, the sound effects and music are bound to please the little ones, and they can even play their own songs and record them. There are prizes and collectibles they can win, there are two different modes of play, and the app uses touch functionality.
- The sequel features additional games
- The games focus on different skills
- There are two modes of play
- The app uses touch functionality
- The illustrations are all 3D
If you're heading out on a road trip in the
- Find all the unusual places to stop on your road trip in the U.S. or Canada
- You can perform a search by city, address, zip code, or name
- The app is quick and simple to use
- There are more than 70 categories of attractions and sights
Kids can step into the shoes of a tailor in the Toca Tailor app. There are four characters to have fun with as they get to work making outfits for each of them to wear. There are all kinds of ways to be creative and customize the look. Once kids pick the design they will then tailor them which means fixing up the sleeves and hems on all items. There are 24 different fabric patterns to choose from, 30 accessories, 24 clothing details, and when they're done they are able to use the built-in camera to take a photo of the creation. Just like with the other Toca apps this one is child-friendly, there are no in-app purchases, and no third party advertising.
- Ideal for kids ages four and up
- The app is child-friendly when it comes to the controls
- There are 30 accessories
- 24 different fabric patterns
- There are four characters to dress up
Kids can obviously tell a story with words but how about telling a story with pictures. The Draw and Tell HD app makes this possible by offering open-ended play and story-telling opportunities. This app features stickers, drawing capability, the ability to change the color, record stories, and create their own animations. There are 32 backgrounds, 27 drawing tools, more than 60 stencils, and even glow in the dark crayons. Kids can actually create their own animated movie from the drawings they made. This one can be used by all ages all that is required is an imagination.
- There are 27 different drawing tools
- There are 32 backgrounds
- More than 60 stencils to choose from
- Kids can create animated movies from their drawings
- The app is user-friendly for all ages
- Kids can record their stories