Learning a new language is no easy task, which is why people often look to educational tools and services that can help them out. The following list of apps will help those looking to learn how to speak Chinese or just brush up on the knowledge they currently have. You will find a wide variety of tools here that are meant to suit the different learning styles that people have. It’s just a matter of finding the right program for your needs.
The best iPad apps for learning Chinese
6 May 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
ChineseSkill is the best Mandarin Chinese learning app for beginners! With this app you have a good chance to start your journey into the Chinese Language. Speak Mandarin Chinese with us. It is easy to learn Chinese with us because it is game-based, task-driven and always helpful. Chinese handwriting, characters and pronunciation are made simple in ChineseSkill. All you need to do is tap and move.
- Quality courses based on the CEFR;
- Learning while testing (provides review and consolidation);
- Native pronunciation at standard or slower speed;
- A novel way to study Chinese characters;
- Displays Chinese as pinyin or characters or both;
- Switches easily between simplified and traditional Chinese;
- Learning progress synchronized across iPad, iPhone, iPod touch.
Learning Chinese doesn't have to be stressful or overwhelming that is if you have the right tools available to you. The Learn Chinese (Mandarin) by MindSnacks app features eight different games all of which have an educational component to them. This one can be used by adults and kids and is meant to keep users engaged and focused so that the lessons are absorbed. This isn't your typical flashcard style app instead this one is filled with more than 40 hours' worth of content for you to work your way through. Navigating through the app is a breeze allowing users to immerse themselves in the learning experience.
- The app can be used by adults and kids
- Navigating through the app is simple
- There is more than 40 hours’ worth of content
- The app features mini games rather than the typical flashcards
Just as the name of the app suggests the Learn Chinese Easily app is dedicated to providing users with a streamlined experience that isn't intimidating in the least bit. This app will help you not just learn basic words but also learn proper pronunciation. You are shown a picture to accompany each word and then the word is spoken. There are updates on a regular basis, the app will keep track of your progress, and there is a test mode just to be sure you're absorbing the content. While this one isn’t filled with added tools and functions this one is perfect for anyone looking for a basic offering that they can pick up and start learning from right away.
- This is a basic and simple offering with no frills
- The app offers updates on a regular basis
- The app keeps track of your progress
- Learn the proper pronunciation of the words
Are you planning to travel to China in the near future for work, pleasure, or schooling but aren't familiar with the language? The iTranslate app can prove to be a lifesaver as it is capable of translating more than 90 different languages, and Chinese is one of them. The app will translate full phrases, words, and text and can do so in either a female or male voice that you can control the speed of. The app is also able to support the various dialects which can make a huge difference when speaking or learning a language. The way it works is that you speak into the app and the app will translate it into text in another language.
- The app supports more than 90 different languages
- Speak into the app and it will convert it to text then translate it
- The app supports different dialects
- The app can translate words, full phrases, and text
iTranslate ~ free translator app review
Have you been searching for the perfect tool that will help you learn and master the Chinese language? The Pleco Chinese Dictionary feature a document reader, a dictionary, and flashcards all meant to help you learn the language with ease. There are more than 100,000 entries in the dictionary so you know this one is complete. The search tool makes the experience all the smoother. If you'd like to hear pronunciation you can hear it in Cantonese and Mandarin. The OCR feature makes it possible to just point your camera at text and then getting the translation.
- The app is smooth and user-friendly
- Don’t just learn the basics, master the language
- There are all kinds of advanced tools
- Hear pronunciation in Cantonese and Mandarin
- There are 100,000 entries in the dictionary
- The app can be used by anyone
One of the premiere tools for learning another language is Rosetta Stone. The Learn Languages: Rosetta Stone app gives you a way to learn on your own schedule and wherever you like. The app has been set up to resemble a private language tutor giving you the confidence and knowledge you need to start mastering the grammar and vocabulary of the language of your choice. What makes the Rosetta Stone program so unique is that it offers an immersion method of teaching and learning. For many people this has proven to be a simpler and faster way to learn.
- Rosetta Stone uses its own immersion method of teaching and learning
- The app is meant to feel like a private language tutor
- Master the grammar and vocabulary in the language of your choice
- The app is simple to navigate
Are you new to the Chinese language or you are still in the process of learning it? The KTdict C-E app is a useful offering as it is a Chinese-English dictionary. This is meant as a companion tool when learning the language so that you have a user-friendly dictionary available to you at all times. The dictionary has more than 100,000 entries which are easy to browse through thanks to the search tool. A handy feature is the fact you won't need an Internet connection to use it. There are some added bonuses here such as the flashcards that make it possible to learn and the OCR function so that you can take picture of text in Chinese and get the translation.
- The dictionary has more than 100,000 entries
- Make use of the search tool
- There is a built in reader that will translate text for you
- The OCR function allows you to take a photo of text in Chinese and then will translate it
It's one thing to be able to speak Chinese and understand the basics of a conversation but learning to write Chinese characters is a whole other undertaking. The iLearn Chinese Characters Lite app provides kids with a way to learn how to draw the characters in a fun and non-intimidating way. It's more than just drawing the characters though, the meaning behind the characters is also explained so that they can better remember what it looks like and the steps involved in drawing it. There is a demonstration that it given to show how you draw the characters then you can practice yourself. There are hundreds of characters offered in the app.
- Learn how to draw the Chinese characters
- Learn about each picture’s meaning
- This one has been created for kids
- After viewing the demonstration you will get to try it
The Learn Chinese app is loaded with phrases and common words for users to master or just refer to when traveling to China or speaking with someone from the country. This app is designed to be a reference tool - a phrasebook - that is simple and quick to use. The free version offers more than 200 words while the full version gives you more than 1,000. There is no Internet connection needed for this one, making it ideal when traveling. There is a search tool, the audio is spoken by native speakers, and you can always slowdown the playback speed of the audio.
- Learn to speak Chinese
- The full version of this app offers 1,000 common words
- There is no Internet connection need
- Adjust the speed of the audio playback
- The audio is spoken by native speakers
There is no reason that a learning experience has to be dull and void of fun, which is the motto with the Fun Chinese app. This app has been developed for kids ages three through 10 and provides them with a variety of activities that focus on reading, spelling, and speaking in Mandarin Chinese. In total there are six games to play and as it stands more than 3,000,000 have downloaded the app. The lessons focus on vehicles, animals, the house, numbers, and colors. While each lesson is challenging they are well explained and move at a pace that is comfortable for kids.
- There are more than 3,000,000 downloads
- Learn to read, spell, and speak in Mandarin Chinese
- This one is for kids ages three through 10
- The app moves at a pace that works for kids