If you rely on texting as one of your main sources of communication then it’s time to discover a cheaper way to go about it. There’s a good chance you are paying a small fortune through your mobile provider, and there’s really no need for that. The apps in this list are meant to be used on your mobile device to allow you to text with friends and family for a very small price, and in some cases completely free! Of course to sweeten the deal there are all kinds of added tools and features to be found.
The best iPhone apps for texting
25 Apr 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
- State-of-the-art end-to-end encryption keeps your conversations secure
- Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks
- You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends
- Switch to the dark theme if you refuse to see the light
If you want to be able to chat with your friends and loved ones but don't appreciate the giant monthly bill that goes with it, then it's time to look into the Text Me! app. This one features free phone calls, text messaging, video messaging, picture messaging, and video calls. Go ahead and send an unlimited number of picture and text messages to recipients in 40 different countries around the world, and take advantage of the free video and voice calling to phone numbers that are located inside the U.S. Now here's a really cool part: this app even works with your iPod touch and iPad, transforming them into a mobile phone.
- Use on all your devices
- Enjoy free text and picture messaging to numbers in the U.S. and 40 other countries
- Enjoy free video and voice calling to numbers within the U.S.
- The app offers voicemail for free
- There is a group messaging feature
Sometimes when you're chatting you don't necessarily want that person to know your actual phone number. The Smiley Private Texting app acts as an excellent solution for these situations. The way it works is that you're given a private phone number to use for texting. Customers absolutely love the fact they don't have to sign up or register to use the app; they can just start with it right away. As the developer states this one is perfect for chatting to contacts on Craigslist and for business purposes.
- There is no limit on the amount of texts you can send
- The app allows you to send and receive text and picture messages
- The app works in the U.S. and Canada
- You are given a private number so your mobile number stays a secret
- There is no need to register to use the app
How many times have you sent a text message to a friend or loved one only to find out they didn't even bother to read it. The Color Text Messages+ app makes sure that your messages always stand out, and most likely get read then. The app makes it possible to use the keyboard to add background colors, change the color of the font, add special effects, and use more than one of these elements per message. Before you send it there is a preview button just to be sure you're happy with the result. Messages can then be sent by Whatsapp, MMS, Messenger, email, and more.
- Ensure that your messages get noticed
- Send text messages by Whatsapp, email, MMS, Messenger, and more
- Add special effects to your messages
- Change the font color
- Get a preview of your message before sending it
- The app is easy to use
If you're looking for the next big thing in connecting with loved ones then the Viber app is it. This app makes it possible to chat over the mobile or WiFi network without spending a cent. Take advantage of voice and video calls, send messages through the app, sent photos, and more. You can even spice up the look of your messages with stickers, pictures, and links. Additional features include HD sound, push notifications, public chats that you can follow, the ability to send out group messages, attach files, and plenty more. This app also supports the Apple Watch, giving you more ways to be in communication with friends and family.
- The app makes it possible to send messages
- The app makes it possible to make voice and video calls using your mobile network or WiFi
- It offers HD sound
- Get push notifications when you miss a call
- The app supports the Apple Watch
If you haven't heard of the WhatsApp Messenger, then it's time to get yourself familiar with this one. This is a messaging app that is free to use and works across all platforms. Through this app it's possible to make calls, chat with a group of friends, send videos and photos, and of course receive calls/messages. What makes this app even better is the fact it’s completely free to use. Often there are usernames and registrations required to use these apps, but that's not the case with this one. You'll have full access to your address books, get notifications when you receive a message, and you can even use it on a desktop computer.
- Free iPhone app for texting
- Make and receive voice and video calls
- Send videos and pictures
- Get notifications when you receive a message
- Chat with a group of friends
Perhaps you're looking for a way to speak to people within the U.S. as well as internationally and don't want to have to spend a fortune. If that's the case iPlum is one that is becoming increasingly popular. This one gives you a phone number based in the U.S. that you can then use to make and receive phone calls, get voicemail, and use it for texting. For those with the app you can call and message each other as much and as often as you like for free, otherwise you can sign up for different price options.
- The app offers unlimited free texting and calling between app users
- The app is easy to use
- You are given a U.S. based phone number
- The app offers voicemail
- Use it to make international calls