Do you already play the violin? Are you trying to learn how to play this magnificent instrument? If yes, then check out our list of the best violin apps for your iPad. This collection of apps will teach you how to play the violin in addition to reading sheet music, learning chords, tuning your instrument and more.
The best violin apps for iPad
11 Jan 2021, by Christine Pamintuan
Here comes a violin app which solves EVERY SINGLE problem that music performers have ever encountered. "This is a sheet music viewer that is genuinely worth having" – GRAMOPHONE.
No more trouble of carrying loads of scores and looking for your favorite one with this app for violin.
2011 International Business Awards - Consumer Entertainment / Information (Distinguished Honoree), 2012 4th SF NewTech Japan Night Winner. More than 3,000,000 musicians are now using the Piascore!
- You can write down any notes in the score
- Smart Browsing
- Automatic vertical scrolling turns a page on your behalf
- Free classical sheet music search
- Supports any cloud file service such as Dropbox, the camera capturing, and web search
Trala’s mission is to make world-class music education available to every single person on Earth. Take your violin skills from absolute beginner to advanced student with Trala. Trala combines video lessons from world-class violinists with instant pitch and rhythm feedback.
- It’s a learning tool in your pocket, allowing you to practice anytime, anywhere.
- A professional music video of the song you'll learn, with the history of the song and lessons on all the techniques you need to play the song.
- Daily exercises to practice skills such as string crossings and intonation
- RENOWNED ARTIST INSTRUCTORS: Katie Jacoby, the electric violinist for The Who, Rob Landes, Dr. Nuné Melik and Grace Youn.
Have your intonations and timings transcribed for you using Music Wrench, as you play your music on the violin. The app comes with sheet music in case you don't wish to freestyle. There is a tuner included in the app which works for double stops too. Users can record their music and play it back. There is also a metronome included in the app. More features can be sampled before being purchased via in-app purchases.
- Transcribes your intonation and timings
- Sheet music included
- Tuner for double stops
- Free app, try before you buy
This app comes with a fun and interesting lion-learning software that is perfect for beginners. The app comes with backing tracks to help you feel like you are playing with a grand orchestra. The pace of backing tracks can be adjusted to play slowly while you learn how to play that section. The chords for each bar of music is displayed in a very simple format. Additional sample videos will teach learners how to play the violin with ease.
- Suitable for beginners
- Backing tracks - adjustable
- Shows the chords in a simple format
- Sample videos
- Free violin app
This award-winning app is a licensed video practice app for the Suzuki method, which can help beginners learn to play Suzuki violin and is designed for use with Suzuki Violin School volume 1. The app will instantly recognize the sheet music page as you point the in-app camera at it and display in ABC notation to help you play with ease. You can also choose to listen and watch musicians playing that specific piece so you can emulate the way it sounds.
- Award-winning app
- Practice aid for Suzuki method
- Recognizes Suzuki sheet music instantaneously
- Practice playing flawlessly
- Listen and watch musicians play a piece of your choice
With over a million downloads, Tuner+ has proven to be a reliable tuner app for the violin as well as a range of other instruments. The app features a chromatic tuner which is very easy to use even for beginners. Notes tuned to the last detail is played so you can match your pitch to it. Sine wave as well as real audio forms are available. The app boasts a lovely dark-themed interface, and is very lightweight at only 12.7 MB.
- Reliable chromatic tuner
- Tune multiple instruments
- Sine wave as well as audio form
- Beautiful dark interface
- Lightweight app
This is not just a violin app - it comes with sounds for various instruments including the piano, guitar, oboe, clarinet, and more. The app can be used to play music without looking at the screen of your iPhone or iPad. There are 3 octaves in the app in total. Users can create recordings with multiple instruments by layering them. Recording and sharing features are also available.
- Over 10 sounds for various instruments
- Covers a range of 3 octaves
- Lets users layer music to create their own symphonies
- Record and share music
- Free iPad violin app
Don't have a violin? This is a violin emulator app which lets you play any violin song from your iPhone or iPad. There is a Fingerboard on which you can press notes, or you can choose scales, or go for the free play mode. You can use the Chord Library to learn how to structure different chords together. There are also songs included in the app that will let you learn how to play them. There is a violin hero type of interface available in Game Mode.
- Violin emulator app
- Fingerboard with notes and scales
- Free play mode
- Chord library
- Game Mode
Packed with over 250 songs and scales, this app will help you master playing the violin. Each time you play a song or scale, you can record yourself playing it, and the app will come up with detailed cumulative stats of the total correct notes, consecutive correct notes, and songs played correctly. You can also share your recording along with your performance scores. The app comes with a Wait Mode which waits for you to play the right note before moving to the next one, helping you master your chosen song. PlayAlong Violin app review
- More than 250 songs and scales
- Proficiency score and performance history in detail
- Record and share performances including scores
- Transpose the pitch with ease
- Helpful Wait Mode
Tuner Lite is a popular app with over 6 million users, and it acts mainly as a chromatic instrument tuner and pitch pipe that also utilizes your iPhone or iPad mic to tune your instruments. The app comes with an LED display which makes it very straightforward to understand high and low sound. The tuner boasts an accuracy of +/- 0.01 semitones or +/-1 cent. Customize your experience by changing the app wallpaper. Tuner Lite by plusadd app review
- Chromatic instrument toner
- LED display
- Highly accurate
- Uses built-in mic to help tune
- Change the app wallpaper to your preference