Learning to cook can be a pretty intimidating experience for some. In fact, it may turn you off from trying or continuing to try. This list of apps goes through the basics of cooking and helps you to go from a beginner to an experienced person in the kitchen. You’ll be able to spice up your menu, learn all kinds of new dishes and techniques, and start impressing your friends and family with your newfound skills.
The best iPhone and iPad apps for learning how to cook
12 Jan 2021, by Christine Pamintuan
With this how to cook app, you will enjoy a wide variety every week of simple meals, complete with easy-to-follow recipes and fresh, pre-portioned ingredients delivered right to you. This is also a what to cook app, it makes it easier than ever to manage your meals and deliveries up to five menus in advance. Featuring recipes, cooking tips, referrals, and easier reviews enabling you to send your feedback directly to our chefs, this app has it all! Get started, by downloading it now!
- Plan ahead
- Get recipes and pre-portioned ingredients delivered
- Choose from delicious new options every week
- Easy instructions
Whether it’s for fun, work or anything in-between, if you are looking to improve your cooking skills and cook like a professional chef then check out this great app. Learn pro cooking techniques, food prep methods and more. There are over 200 free video lessons to watch and learn. Then practice these cooking methods to improve your own skills. Over 60 hours of video, detailed ingredient lists and more content. A WiFi connection is the most ideal way to use this app due to streaming video content.
- Learn how to cook like pro chefs
- Over 200 free video lessons, Easy to follow
- Over 60 hours of video, Enjoyable to watch
- Detailed ingredient lists
- WiFi connection is ideal due to video content
Every week, HelloFresh delivers a box of delicious recipes and the exact amount of fresh ingredients you need to cook them at home. Cooking healthy meals has never been so easy! Thousands of delicious recipes that you can discover, sort, save to your favorites, rank, and share with your friends and family.
- Cooking videos with tips and tricks, along with step-by-step guides to help you cook your meals.
- A flexible online account where you can easily choose your meals or change your subscription settings at any time.
- When you finish preparing your recipe, you can sync the nutritional info with your Health app using HealthKit to track your nutritional intake.
- Free Delivery!
Yummly is your smart cooking sidekick, offering personalized guidance every step of the way. From recipe recommendations just for you, to handy tools and helpful videos, Yummly has everything you need to improve life in the kitchen. Experience what millions are enjoying on the web, free on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Yummly app review
- 2 million+ recipes from the best of the best.
- Discover recipes from Yummly’s test kitchen and other top recipe sites and food blogs like Allrecipes, Epicurious, Food52, Smitten Kitchen, and more.
- Personalized to your tastes & dietary needs.
- Tell Yummly your diets, allergies, tastes, and preferences and they'll only serve up recipes that match.
Kitchen Dial is a free iPhone app that doubles up as a handy kitchen tool. It makes measurement conversions easy to do via its wonderful graphics and interface. The free version of this app does have some limitations. However, for a small in-app purchase, you can gain other features that really make this app even more impressive like ingredient weights, number input, Celsius to Farenheit, toggles for different measurements and to remove adds. Cut down on the number of tools you have in your kitchen by downloading this reliable and handy app today.
- A reliable, handy kitchen tool
- Stunning graphics, Simple to use, Cool interface
- Make measurement conversions easily
- Use a gyroscope to make touch free selections
- In-app purchases for more features and tools
Sure you can pick up a generic cookbook in the bookstore or you can download the Kitchen Stories app and get so much more than recipes. This app is a photo and video cookbook that will transform the way you approach your recipes. Each of the recipes in here features step-by-step instructions along with photos. There are also how-to videos and recipe videos that will take you through all the basics. Each week there are new recipes and this app can even be used on your Apple Watch for the ultimate convenience. Some of the categories include 20 minute dishes, pasta variations, all-time classics, gluten-free, and vegan options. Kitchen Stories app review
- The app is user-friendly
- This one offers recipe videos, how-to videos, and text instructions
- You are given the step-by-step instructions along with photos
- The app supports the Apple Watch
- There are new recipes added weekly
While cooking can seem like a really simple task for some, and even relaxing for others, some people find the whole process to be confusing and intimidating. The Cooking app aims to take all the confusion out of the kitchen and put the control in your hands. What's different about this app is that it isn't filled with recipes like you may be expecting. Instead this is described as a "knowledge book" where you are taught about the ingredients, how they react with each other, what flavors work well with each other, and how to figure out the proper measurements. This app really is about training you to become a cook who is able to develop and create all on your own.
- This is not your typical cooking app
- You won’t find recipes here
- The app trains you how to think and create just like a professional cook
If you are trying to make an effort to eat healthier then finding recipes is imperative in your quest. The Healthy Recipes - By SparkRecipes app offers more than 500,000 recipes which means you'll have plenty to choose from. In fact this one claims to offer the world's largest selection of healthy recipes. The search tool is what will help you get through the recipes and find what it is that appeals to you. The app provides you with the nutritional information for each recipe so you know if it's the wise choice for you. There are video demos, cooking tips, you can share recipes, and you can save recipes for future reference. Healthy Recipes app review
- Access more than 500,000 healthy recipes
- Use the search tool to find what you want
- There are also cooking tips, video demos, and you can save and share recipes
Healthy Recipes app review
Instead of cluttering your kitchen with heavy and cumbersome recipe books the BigOven 350,000+ Recipes and Grocery List app can provide you with an incredible source of options without taking up any space in the kitchen. This one is able to provide you with tasty and easy-to-follow recipes, full menus, and you can make your grocery list within the app. It should come as no surprise that this one has more than 11 million downloads and counting. To help you pick that perfect recipe check out the ratings and reviews that others' have given them, store your recipes in your own My Recipes section, and if you want to use your leftovers just type in what you've got and the app will deliver options for you to try. BigOven 250,000+ Recipes and Grocery List app review
- There are more than 350,000 recipes
- Create a grocery list in the app
- There is a menu planner
- Save recipes for easy reference
- Type in what leftovers you have on-hand and get recipe ideas