Remember all those classic arcade style games of the 1980s that were addictive and filled with fun? Here’s your chance to rediscover them and discover some all new retro style games as you work your way through this list. Everything you find on the list is a throwback to simpler and perhaps even more addictive times when it comes to gameplay. You’ll love the graphics, sounds, game controls, and the overall fun these ones offer players.
The best iPad apps for arcade
7 Oct 2015, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
If you're looking for the best of the best when it comes to arcade-style games it's hard to beat the Space Invaders Infinity Gene that has a loyal following and has won a number of awards. The game features all the original stages that you know and love right down to the graphics and music, but this one is also filled with fabulous new features that will make it even more exciting. You can play as long as you like thanks to the infinite gameplay, you can also play original stages where you can use your own music. This shooting-style game is sure to leave your entertained and addicted.
- Users can play all the original stages complete with the graphics and music
- You can play your own music with the stages if you like
- There is infinite gameplay
- There are unlockables
- The game is award-winning and comes with a loyal following
If you're familiar with the classic arcade game from Don Bluth called Dragon's Lair now is your chance to enjoy in a mobile sense with the Dragon's Lair HD app. The app is available for your iPad and provides players with all the excitement and fun that the original did. This one features hand-drawn animation that has been taken from the original game, enhanced, and put into HD. The idea is the game feels authentic yet new and challenging. The game controls are smooth and fluid so that players have the best and most immersive experience possible.
- The app provides players with the ability to play the classic arcade game of Dragon’s Lair on their iPad
- This one features beautiful and engaging hand-drawn animations
- The game is meant to feel authentic and like the original with new features and unexpected elements added to it
- The game controls are easy to pick up
For those familiar with the classic 1987 arcade game Double Dragon here's a chance to rediscover the game in a whole new mobile way. The Double Dragon Trilogy app gives players a chance to dominate all over again in the game that garnered all kinds of attention in the '80s. What's really cool is that the app delivers all three of the Double Dragon installments so you've got plenty of gameplay ahead of you. Some of the stand-out features here include the ability to play in co-op mode, the controls are completely customizable, there is story and arcade mode, you can unlock achievements and climb the leaderboard, there are a variety of difficulty levels, and you can enjoy the original soundtrack or the all-new one.
- The app delivers all three installments of the popular arcade game
- The controls are customizable
- There is a co-op mode
- There is story or arcade mode
- Choose your difficulty level
- The app supports the Leaderboard
Who doesn't love the 30 year old game of Pac Man? This classic arcade game is now yours to enjoy on your mobile device with the PAC-MAN app that combines all the classic gameplay and characters along with three new mazes to work your way through. In total there are nine mazes here, with three levels of difficulty to choose from, two different control modes to offer variety and challenge, and it supports the MFi controller. The game is filled with all the ghosts you know and love and you can even earn an extra life by scoring enough points.
- The app delivers all the fun of the classic arcade game
- The game features all the characters from the original
- There are nine mazes in total
- You can earn extra lives when you score enough points
- The app supports the MFi controller
- Choose your difficulty level
- Choose your game control mode
PAC-MAN app review
Instead of having to download a whole bunch of games here's an app that gives you access to a variety of arcade-style games. The Midway Arcade app provides players with a dozen different games that include Arch Rivals, Defender, Rampage, and Spy Hunter. Because of the variety this app is sure to keep players busy for quite a while. As an added bonus you can enjoy playing your own music during the games thanks to the built in jukebox. Expect a wild ride with this one that is filled with challenges that are both familiar and new.
- Players are given a variety of arcade style games in one convenient offering
- The game controls are smooth and responsive
- You can play your own music while you play
- Some of the games will be familiar while others may be new to players
- The graphics are fun and engaging
- You can earn tickets that you can redeem for prizes
If you're a fan of the classic Activision arcade games then the Activision Anthology app will be a real treat for you. This one provides you with access to 45 of the most classic Activision games you used to play. This includes such favorites as Pitfall II, Stampede, River Raid, Demon Attack, and so much more. You're given KABOOM! for free so you can start playing immediately. The app supports the Game Center and you've got the ability to post your high scores to Facebook. There are customization options, you can check out the original game manuals, and plenty more.
- The app gives players access to 45 classic Activision games
- You will have access to the original game manuals
- You can share your high scores to Facebook
- You get to play KABOOM! For free
- The app supports Game Center
- You can earn digital versions of game patches
While some games are all about the high-tech graphics, crazy gaming features, and options that seem never-ending there are other games that keep things simple and fun such as the Crossy Road app. This game takes a look at that classic question of "why did the chicken cross the road," well you're about to find out. The Crossy Road app has actually become a massive hit with players loving its simplicity, its retro arcade graphics, how addictive it is, and at the same time the challenge it offers. It’s even got 17 new fun characters to check out just to keep things fresh.
- The Crossy Road app is wildly popular thanks to its retro graphics, addictive gameplay, and the challenge it offers
- This one is easy to understand and features simple game controls
- There are now 17 new characters
- This one can be played by adults and kids
If you're looking for high-energy, immersive, and engaging multiplayer action then look no further than the Doodle Army 2 app. This one allows up to six players online or if you'd rather you can play in multiplayer game mode locally. Players will be working their way through the various maps as they take on some serious combat battles. There are team battles, melee attacks, a variety of weapons, and you can play in survival or training mode while offline. Expect smooth and fun graphics, power-ups that will transform your gameplay, and sound effects that will enhance the game in a big way.
- The game offers multiplayer action
- You can play with up to six players online
- The combat is immersive, high-energy, and fun
- There are power-ups that can help you in battle
- Work your way through the various maps
- The game controls are simple and responsive
- The graphics are retro and fun
It's time for a joyride like no other, relax you won't need to steal your parents car for this one! The Jetpack Joyride app is a fast-paced offering from the creators of the popular Fruit Ninja! game. In this game you'll be playing as Barry and you'll be taking part on a rather fun adventure as you make use of the experimental jetpacks that he has stolen from the evil scientist. The problem is you're going to need to manoeuver this one past all the obstacles, which gets rather tricky rather fast.
- The game is fast-paced with smooth and responsive controls
- This is from the creators of the popular Fruit Ninja! game
- You’ll be flying around with the help of a jetpack as you do your best to avoid all the obstacles
- The game features great graphics, fun sounds, and plenty of cool elements
- There is an online Leaderboard and you can unlock Achievements
Most Promising Apps Released in the Last 24 Hours (9/1)Jetpack Joyride is High Octane FunThe best endless running games for iPad
This app takes things back to a real retro and classic arcade invader shooter style of game. The Space Inversion 2 FREE app is all about fun and high-octane action. This one features both HD and SD graphics, there are a couple of modes of play, you can choose between six different types of control, there are expansion packs, the app supports the Game Center, and there are plenty of power-ups to help you score big. This game is especially fast paced so it’s not the type you’re going to want to put down once you get started.
- The app uses classic arcade invader shooter style of game play
- The app supports Game Center
- There are power-ups that can help with your gameplay
- There are expansion packs available
- There are a variety of game controls
- The game is fast-paced and highly addictive
- The rules of the game are simple and easy to follow
Space Inversion 2 Free app review: thrilling space invasion game