If you’re looking for a game that offers a true challenge, then Chess is the perfect game for you. This is the kind of game that literally takes years to master and even at that, it seems you can always learn more. While the game is typically played in person, the following list of apps gives you the opportunity to enjoy chess on your mobile device whenever you like, which means there’s no need to find an opponent and deal with setting up the board. Get ready to meet your match with the offerings we have on our list of the best chess apps for iPad.
The best chess apps for iPad
2 May 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
With over 1 million registered players, this app one of the largest chess communities in the world. However, this isn’t only a chess game it’s also a tool to become a better chess player. There are various chess timer options, track your rating and performance, view your rankings with detailed stats and charts, create a player profile, supports multiple languages, chat with friends, earn achievements and so much more. The app is free to download, but there are VIP subscription options and in-app purchases for gold backs.
- One of the largest chess communities in the world
- Will help you become a better chess player
- Create player profile, Move up the rankings
- View your starts, rating and performance
- In-app purchases for VIP subscriptions and Gold Packs
Play chess from wherever you are and against anyone in the world. It’s designed to bring chess players together from different countries. Play against strangers or friends, chat in-game, use different chess sets and themes, view a history of recent games, export games, climb up the Leaderboards, tag players and more. This app also sends notifications so, make sure they’re turned on. This app is free to download, but there is an in-app purchase for the Pro Version.
- Play chess against other players from around the world
- Chat in games, View history of recent games, Export games
- Use different chess sets and themes
- Leaderboards, Tag players, Get notifications
- In-app purchase for the Pro Version
Built more for the professional and experienced players, the Chess™ app makes it possible to enjoy your favorite game with the challenge you love and expect. Beginners are still certainly welcome and can take advantage of the coach and hints and there are training levels to build up their knowledge; however, if you consider yourself more of a Grandmaster then it’s in this app where you'll find a challenge to meet your skills. There are 100 levels to work through that increase in difficulty and the app keeps track of your statistics. You've got the ability to save your game and then load it, the graphics are sharp and impressive, the sound effects are fun, and it's a universal offering. For more on this app, check out our review.
- Free to play
- This chess app can even challenge the Grandmaster-level player
- If you’re a beginner there are training modes and coaching hints to help you out
- There are more than 100 levels to work through
- The app offers impressive and sleek graphics
How would you like the opportunity to learn how to play chess with 10 million other people at any given time? The Chess - Play & Learn app is dedicated to providing players with an unlimited amount of free games that feature interactive videos, lessons, and more than 50,000 tactics puzzles. You'll be playing against the computer or you can challenge friends in real-time. When you play against the computer it’s able to offer a game that matches your skill level. You can also check out a game analysis to help you learn. There are more than 20 different themes to choose from to give the game a more customized look.
- Play against friends or the computer
- The computer will adjust to your skill level
- Customize the feel of the game by choosing one of the more than 20 different themes
- Check out your game analysis
- Free to play with in-app purchases
If you admit you need to improve your chess game, or have never learned, Chess Free - with coach is the way to go. You’ll have fun while you learn so it won't seem like any work at all. The coach will show you the four best moves a Grandmaster would pick. This makes the lessons more like immersion, which means you will learn faster than starting out with basic instructions. As the developer explains, you didn't learn to spell before you learned to talk, did you? No, you learned by watching and listening to other people talk to each other and to you. It also works for more advanced players.
- Free to play
- Learn how to play or improve your game
- Learn by studying how a Grandmaster would move
- Built-in chess engine can play at the World Championship level
- Also recommended for advanced players and experts
If you have ever wanted to learn how to play chess, but didn’t know where to start, then check out this app. There’s 118 pages of content to help teach you how to become a better chess player. Additionally, there are 91 chess diagrams with a feature to allow you to try legal moves. The instructions are concise and easy for beginners to understand. Not only will you learn how to play the game, this cool app will also teach you some basic strategies and tactics. If you haven’t played chess in a long time, this app can also be used to brush up on the game.
- Learn how to play chess
- Nearly 120 pages of content
- Over 90 instructional diagrams
- Learn basic strategies of the game
- Learn basic chess tactics and more
Chess Tactics is a quick and easy way to improve your chess game. Here you will practice your tactics, as evident by the name. This app is for everyone, from beginner to expert, with tactics of all levels. The chess engine learns your ability and only offers tactics on your level. The developers add more tactics every day, so you won't become bored with what's offered. You have the option to create your own tactics for other players to try, see the leaderboards for the best players, the most-liked tactics, and the hardest tactics. There's also a forum for users of the app.
- Free to use
- Fastest way to improve your chess game
- For beginner to expert
- Tactics of all levels
- In-app purchases to get rid of ads or to choose different colored chessboards
If you are looking for a solid chess app to play head-to-head chess then check out this app. It allows you to challenge your friends or random opponents. The game features a wide range of stats, charts, opponent stats, in-app notifications, play even when there’s no internet connection, search filters for finding opponents, optional takeback, analysis board and much more. The app also focuses on the social interaction of the game like viewing a map of your opponent’s location, user profile and comments, rankings, browse an opponent’s past games and more. There is an in-app purchase for a premium annual membership.
- Great app for head-to-head chess
- Challenge friends or random opponents
- Numerous social features
- View past stats and games played
- In-app purchase for premium membership