Can't afford talk time? Don't want to give your money to telecom companies? Want to be able to record calls? Don't want people to know your real cell phone number? Don't worry, there's an app for that. As long as you have an Internet signal, you can make a call using your iPhone, and there are plenty of calling apps that allow you to record calls using your own cell service. Online phone services are called VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) and many you've probably heard of, like Skype. Here is our list of the best iPhone apps for making phone calls.
The best iPhone apps for phone calls
2 May 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
For only $1 per month, users can get a dedicated U.S. phone number for personal or business purposes. It’s a great way to save money and cut down on your overall phone costs. The app has a business console to help manage bills for one or multiple users. Additionally, iPlum features the ability to text or call mobile and landlines, toll free calling in the US, customizable voicemail and more. Users will get 30 free credits upon sign-up. There are some additional international fees when applicable. These fees are some of the lowest rates around. Additionally, there are in-app purchases as well.
- Get a second phone number for personal or business
- Only $1 per month for dedicate U.S. number
- Toll-free calling within the US
- 30 free credits upon sign up
- In app purchases, Some international fees
Textfree Ultra gives users a real US phone number to call or text anyone else even if that person doesn’t have this app. There’s a wide range of features included in this app. Users can block numbers, send MMS or SMS messages, free voicemail, free calls and texting to specific countries, log in securely and more. If other users have this app then calls and texts are free no matter where you are at. The only charges are for outbound calls to non-US numbers and possibly non-app users. You can purchase minutes for really cheap. This app also has ads that can be removed for an in-app purchase.
- Get a real U.S. phone number for calls and texts
- Some fees may apply to outbound calls
- Block calls, Free voicemail, Send MMS or SMS
- In-app purchases for outbound minutes
- In-app purchase to remove ads
This app will help you reduce your expenses on international calls and SMS. Stop wasting money on calling cards and cell minutes! Get a free US phone number in any area code. Call any mobile/landline phone numbers at super low rates. International SMS to over 230 countries. Dingtone brings together free calls, free texts, sharing, Walkie Talkie, and voicemail into one, easy-to-use app.Free Unlimited WiFi phone calls & Free text messages! Most free calls between Dingtone users have superior clarity to existing regular phone service. Other great features:
- Caller ID – Choose which of your numbers to be displayed when calling
- Call block – Stop unwanted calls and fraud calls
- Call forwarding – Forward calls to any number you like
- Voicemail – Customize your own voicemail greeting
- Walkie Talkie – Turn your iPhone into a Walkie Talkie. Push to talk!
- Instant messaging – Have fun sharing photos, videos, locations, contacts
Hushed keeps your real phone number private. Just sign up and you'll get a free phone number and free calls and text messages. You can use an unlimited amount of private numbers and make calls from around the world. Attach the numbers to any iOS device and hide your real phone number. The app offers 7-day, 30-day, 90-day, and 365-day plans. Use it to apply for jobs, projects when you're going to be out of the country, for posting ads, and when you need to make a call and don't want the receiver knowing your real number. There are no roaming charges and all payments are made through iTunes. When you sign up for a renewing subscription you will get one number with unlimited texts and calls for one month.
- Keep your real number private
- Unlimited numbers
- Several subscription plans
- Calls and texts from anywhere in the world
- Free with in-app subscriptions
Voxox Cloud Phone is an app that will act as your call manager with a ton of features such as one-touch call recording. Users can create conferences and flip their calls as they wish. Furthermore, you can even listen to voicemails as they are being recorded in real time so that you can pick up calls that are important. This eavesdrop feature will come in handy for many, whether it's business or personal call. International calls are subsidized, and the app utilizes a special codec which makes the audio crystal clear even in low network areas.
- Record calls with one touch
- Flip calls and create conferences
- Listen to incoming voicemails in real time
- Superlative audio quality
- Subsidized rates for international calls
Truecaller lets you find out who called you before you call the number back. Use the app to ID missed calls, outsmart spam callers, search to find out contacts' current numbers, and more. You can see how times a spam call has been reported by the community of Truecaller users and automatically update your contacts with photos and info from Truecaller and different social networks like Google+, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. The app has Yelp! integration for looking up businesses faster. Don't let spam callers burn up your cell phone minutes.
- See who called you
- Outsmart spam callers
- Keep your contacts updated
- Yelp! integration
- Free with in-app subscription
Burner is the number you use when you don't want to use your “real” number, like when you're making an ad for Craigslist, a dating site, Etsy, or need to give your number to someone and don't want them to have your actual cell phone or home number. The app connects your phone number to apps like Slack, Dropbox, Evernote, and Soundcloud. You can save voicemails and picture messages directly to apps like these; do things with your phone you never imagined possible. The app is free to download and try and you can buy more time and numbers with in-app purchases. Note: phone calls will use cell phone minutes.
- Make calls and texts from a burner number
- Use to post ads, dating sites, and more
- Try it for free
- Simple to use
- Free with in-app subscription
TapeACall lets you record your incoming and outgoing calls and the Lite version of the app allows you to try it out before you unlock the full app. With the free version you can listen to the first 60 seconds of a recorded call. When you upgrade you can record incoming and outgoing calls, there's no limit on the number of recordings you can make or how long you can record a call for, and there are no monthly or per-minute fees. It's easy to download recordings to your computer or to a new device, or upload the recordings to Google Drive, Evernote, or Dropbox. You can easily label recordings, play recordings in the background, and push notifications take you to the recording. The app requires that your carrier supports three-way calling.
- Email recordings to yourself
- No monthly or per-minute fees
- Recordings available as soon as you hang up
- Record incoming and outgoing calls
- Free with in-app purchases to upgrade
Line2 gives you a second phone line on your iPhone. The app uses VoIP to let you call and text from a separate phone number using WiFi or over your cellular data. You can send text messages and calls to other Line2 users for free, or you can pay a monthly fee for texts, unlimited incoming calls, and 1500 minutes of calls to anyone in the United States or Canada. You can choose your number and there's no setup or hardware required. Keep a local number for where you go to work or school, or keep a dedicated number for online dating, eBay listings, and more.
- Call forwarding, blocking, hold, and other features
- Call and text the U.S. and Canada from overseas with no roaming charges
- Private number for close friends
- 1500 minutes outgoing calling or forwarding
- Free with in-app subscription
Call Bliss will make sure you don't miss important calls but will silence ones you don't want. You can silence or allow callers and even groups of callers with just one tap, or automatically depending on your location. Create groups like Co-Workers, Soccer Team, Running Partners, Family, or more, and either allow or silence all of them easily. Put callers on the “ExcludeList” and never have them ring through again. Send all callers to voicemail with “Suppress All Callers” until you're done your task and don't need privacy. The app requires iOS 6 or later. Unwanted callers can still leave voicemails.
- Silence unwanted callers
- Never miss important calls
- Allow or silence groups of callers
- ExcludeList sends callers straight to voicemail
- iOS 6 or later
FutureDialer is an ergonomic dialer app that lets you dial with one hand. Buttons are positioned so that you can easily dial with just your thumb without constantly re-positioning your phone. Flip the interface for left- or right-hand use with the button with two arrows, or do a fast T9 search in your contacts list. If more than one phone number is matched to the text you entered, press the red button to bring up the list of matches. If only one match is available, press the red button to call or the yellow button to text.
- Ergonomic dialer app
- Dial with just one hand
- Use your thumb without re-positioning your phone
- Flip the interface for left- or right-hand use
- Red button calls, yellow button texts