Do you need to be able to scan documents while on the go in order to stay productive at work? If so there’s no need to cart around your laptop anymore. Now there are all kinds of apps meant to make document scanning simple and quick without making any sacrifices to the quality of the scan. Many of the apps in this list also contain added tools and features meant to make you even more productive and able to conduct business no matter where you are.
The best document scanners for the iPhone
16 Apr 2020, by Christine Pamintuan
The free Adobe Scan PDF scanner app turns your device into a powerful portable PDF scanner that recognizes text automatically (OCR).More than just a PDF scanner. With the Adobe Scan scanner app, you can make anything scannable. Use the PDF scanner to quickly create a photo scan or PDF scan.
- Use this mobile document scanner to turn anything — receipts, notes, documents, photos, business cards, whiteboards — into an Adobe PDF with text you can reuse from each PDF and photo scan.
- SCAN. With the Adobe Scan scanner app, you can make anything scannable. Use the PDF scanner to quickly create a photo scan or PDF scan.
- ENHANCE. Touch up scans or photos from your camera roll. Whether it’s a PDF or photo scan, you can preview, reorder, crop, rotate, and adjust color.
- CLEANUP. Remove and edit imperfections, erase stains, marks, creases, even handwriting
Just because you don't happen to be at the office doesn't mean your work has to come to a halt. The Office Lens app makes it possible to capture a picture of a blackboard or whiteboard presentation so then you can share it with others. If you'd rather, you can also convert that image to a PowerPoint or Word file. There is no technical know-how necessary with the app as it’s user-friendly from the get-go. Additional uses for the app include taking photos of business cards, notes, receipts, and documents that you want to be able to see again.
- User-friendly and quick to use
- Snap a photo of a whiteboard, blackboard, business card, notes, receipts, and documents
- Easily convert your images to a PowerPoint or Excel file
- Share the file with others
- Supports Cloud storage
While some people may only need to scan documents, other people are looking for a more all-in-one kind of approach. The Scan It All app is an option for anyone that needs to scan, email, and print documents. What's great is that it's not just about documents: you can perform all these same actions with notes, receipts, and business cards. The app features processing times that are impressive and fast, it supports AirPrint, you can email as a PDF, you can upload to Google Drive and Dropbox, as well as other handy features. Keep in mind some of the tools require an in-app purchase to get the full version.
- Scan, email, and print items
- Supports AirPrint
- Email items as a PDF
- Quick processing times
- Scans are kept on your device so they are secure and private
It used to be that you needed to purchase one of those large and clunky document scanners in order to get the job done, but those days are long gone. The Scanner Mini app is an excellent option for anyone that needs a portable scanner. Use this app to scan such things as notes, documents, receipts, sketches, and more. If you need to be able to sign something you can sign the printed copy, scan it, and then email it to whoever needs it. It's a way of taking anything on paper and turning it into a digital file.
- Acts as a portable scanner machine
- Scan items like documents, notes, receipts, and more
- Turn items into a digital file immediately
- Email files
- Syncs across all devices
Imagine if you could own a high-powered scanner filled with all kinds of tools, yet it is so small it fits in your pocket. The solution is simple, it's the Tiny Scanner app you can use on all your mobile devices. With this app you can scan one item or multiple items and make them into one PDF file that you can then email. One of the best parts about this app is the fact it works so quickly when it comes to scanning. Additional features include the fact you can scan in color, you can choose the size of your PDF, the app offers passcode protection, and there is a thumbnail list of your scans to make it easy to browse through your documents.
- This app scans fast and easily
- Scan any document and convert it to a PDF file
- Scan multiple documents and make them one file
- Scan in color if you choose
- View your scans as thumbnails
There are all kinds of apps out there that are meant to make scanning easy and portable but one feature that they don't all contain is OCR. The Scanner Pro 7 excels as a portable scanner thanks to the fact it uses OCR (text recognition). You can scan multiple pages, you can sign and then scan a document, you can save your scans to use later, and of course you can share scans by email. Additional features include enhanced image processing, the fact it supports iCloud so you can sync across various devices, you can make edits, and you can ensure privacy with a passcode.
- Scan multiple pages
- The app supports iCloud
- Email your scanned documents as PDF files
- There is enhanced image processing
- Uses OCR technology so your scans are crisp and clear
While there are many portable scanner apps that claim to be free to use, many of them have a cap on how many scans you can do for free. The Fast Scanner app makes it possible for you to access any feature and make as many scans as you like all for free. If you’re not interested in spending money just to perform scans, this is the way to go. Standout features include the fact you can edit the scans, the scanning process is simple and fast, you can export your document to a PDF file, and you can send that PDF file by email.
- Scanning is simple and fast
- Free document scanner app for iPhone
- All features are free to use
- Create a PDF file of your scan
- Email your PDF file
If you are looking for the best of the best when it comes to scanning apps then why not check out the CamScanner Free app that was named one of the 50 Best iPhone Apps in 2013 by TIME magazine. This one works just like all the others in that you use your phone in order to snap a photo of the item, and then the app converts it to a digital file. The app is able to optimize the quality of the scan so it is always clear, it is able to find and then extract text from images, it allows you to fax from within it, it supports AirPrint, and you can share your JPEG or PDF files by email.
- The app is simple and quick to use
- It supports AirPrint
- Email your files after scanning them
- There are advanced editing tools
- The app can extract text from images
Scanning couldn't be easier or smoother thanks to the Doc Scan app that is able to perform all kinds of duties. This iPhone app can help you be productive no matter where you happen to be and is practical for school, work, and even personal use. Using this app you'll be able to scan documents/items even if they are more than one page, keep the file protected with a passcode, use AirPrint to print items, and then you can fax your documents. In fact you can fax to more than 100 different countries around the world, just keep in mind this service isn't free to use.
- Scan multi-paged documents with ease
- Scanning is very fast to process
- Keep files secure with a passcode
- Supports AirPrint
- Fax from within the app
The name of the Genius Scan says it all, as this one is far more than just a typical portable scanner. This app is absolutely loaded with tools and features that give you more of a customized approach to scanning. Scan one or multiple pages, crop and frame scans, organize them with tags so you can search through them quickly, use AirPrint, or email the scan with ease. All files can be kept safe and secure through encryption and a passcode. Additionally, the processing occurs on your device so your content isn't going to some random server.
- Supports AirPrint
- All processing occurs on your own device
- Keep your scans secure with encryption and a passcode
- Send scans by email
- Free document scanner for iPhone