With summer fast approaching the warm hot days are on the way, but with that comes the inevitable summer storms. Now is the perfect time to check out apps designed to deliver storm alerts so you’ll be aware of bad weather that is approaching and occurring in your area. The following is a list of apps all meant to help you be aware of the conditions around you and can be useful when traveling.
The best iPad apps for storm alerts
20 May 2020, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
KPRC 2’s Frank Billingsley and the Severe Weather Team are here to keep you safe. Our all new Hurricane Tracker app has everything you need to protect your family, your pets and your home. Stay safe with KPRC Hurricane Tracker
- Projected Hurricane Paths and Tracking with New Interactive Map
- Survival Checklists to plan and prepare for storms
- Evacuation Routes and live interactive traffic maps
- Local Emergency numbers and shelters
- Breaking Weather Alerts and push notifications of storm updates
- Current Radar and Satellite Images
There's no better way to get instant weather information than by listening to the NOAA Weather Radio app. This app offers more than 200 hazards broadcasts that stream continuously. The information you'll be able to gather from the app includes forecasts, advisories, watches, warnings, and additional hazards. You will also receive push weather alerts. If it's lightning that you're worried about, this one features lightning detection. This one can run in the background, you can zoom in on the radar, there are customization features, and the user interface is easy to navigate. You can even share alerts and information by Twitter and Facebook.
- Get streaming weather data
- The app offers more than 200 hazards broadcasts
- Learn about watches and warnings
- Get push notification weather alerts
- Share information by Twitter and Facebook
- There is a lightning detection feature
NOAA Weather Radio app review: a reliable alert system
If you're looking for an in-depth take on the weather and the current storm warnings and watches, the RadarScope app provides the type of experience that feels professional. In fact, it's not just those with curiosity about weather who use the app, it's also used by meteorologists. Straight from the US National Weather Service, you will receive information about severe thunderstorm, tornado, flash flood warnings, and radar data that offers NEXRAD Level 3 resolution. You'll be able to see the actual radar detail because you are getting the original radar format, unlike what many apps offer.
- Users are given original radar format to view
- NEXRAD Level 3 resolution of data
- Get information from the US National Weather Service regarding severe thunderstorm, tornado, and flash flood warnings
- The app can even be used by professional meteorologists
Because we can't all be weather experts we rely on professionals to provide us with the information we need. The NOAA Radar US app is a great way to gather the latest weather information and offers a simple user interface, predictive radar, and is very reliable. Through this app you'll be able to view the current conditions as well as a seven-day forecast. View warnings from the National Weather Service by tapping on the warning box once inside the app. The radar has a number of layers so you can gain a large amount of information. There are also different ways in which to view the map.
- Get fast and reliable information
- Weather warnings are from the National Weather Service
- View the current weather conditions as well as a seven-day forecast
- The app offers predictive radar
NOAA Radar US app review: accurate weather forecasting
Stay aware and alert of all the current weather conditions with the help of the MyRadar Pro Weather Radar app. This one has more than 15 million downloads, proving it is a great success among users. This one has been created to be user-friendly yet in-depth when it comes the amount of information. The app provides users with an animated weather radar that is moving around your current location. This is a great way to see what’s happening right now as well as what is heading your way. This one is loaded with features including push notifications when severe weather warnings are issued.
- View your weather displayed as an animated weather radar
- There are tons of features and tools
- The user interface is easy to use
- This one has more than 15 million downloads
- Receive push notifications of severe weather warnings
MyRadar Pro Weather Radar app review: get radar view of storms and earthquakes-2021
Here's an app that can deliver all the weather information you need in one handy location. The NOAA Hi-Def Radar Pro app has it all providing you with your current conditions, an hourly forecast for the next 24 hours, and a multi-day forecast. Where this one really excels is in offering real-time weather information on an interactive map. You'll be able to check out all the colors of the radar depicting the different weather happenings. The notification centre widget provides the current conditions, temperature, radar, and warnings. Unlike many other weather-based apps this one doesn’t require any set-up, you just download it and you’re ready to use it.
- A no-fuss set-up
- Get current conditions, an hourly forecast for the next 24 hours, and a multi-day forecast
- View the radar on an interactive map
- The notification centre widget features the current conditions, temperature, radar, and warnings
Pilots need to be aware of all weather conditions at all times especially in times of severe weather. The ForeFlight Mobile app can act as a solution for pilots when they require flight supports and flight planning. This one offers in-flight weather through the Internet, navigation charts, moving map, airport facility directory information, terrain and hazard awareness, and the list continues from there. This is a professional-quality aviation weather app and isn't intended for the average person to use. There is additional information such as fuel prices, the ability to filed a flight plan, and a comments section where you can read comments that have been made by other pilots.
- This is a professional-quality aviation weather app
- The app is capable of providing accurate and reliable weather data
- View fuel prices
- Read comments from other pilots
- There are navigation charts
- File your flight plan
ForeFlight Mobile for iPad app review
Don't let severe weather take you by surprise; instead, stay up-to-date on all the latest conditions with the Dark Sky app. This app is able to provide you with weather information that predicts up to one hour in advance so you know if it's the best time to head to the beach, go for that bike ride, or head out for a picnic. This one provides radar animation that depicts the path of storms so you can clearly see where it's heading and when bad weather will hit. Whether the app is on or not it will send you push notifications if a storm is approaching so you never have to remember to keep checking.
- Acts as your eyes in the skies
- Even if the app is off you will get push notifications of severe weather
- View an animated weather radar
- Get weather predictions that are in-depth for up to one hour in advance
Best iPhone Apps For WeatherDark Sky - Weather Radar, Hyperlocal Forecasts, and Storm Alerts app review: predict your weather now!
If you're waking up to start the day and want the latest weather information the Clear Day® app can provide it for you. This one features NOAA radar in the U.S., Australia, and Canada, making it perfect for when you're at home and traveling. The 3D weather maps will almost bring the information to life and the cloud cover maps give a great look at storms that are forming. Receive real-time push notifications of severe weather warnings and watches that are issues from NWS and MeteoAlarm. The weather videos can be informative and really interesting to watch and the app is able to find your exact location each time you launch it.
- Get the latest weather details
- Enjoy 3D weather maps
- Offers NOAA radar for the U.S., Australia, and Canada
- Get real-time push notifications for severe weather warnings and watches