There’s no need to be part of a band in order to make your own music thanks to this collection of apps. Whether you’re brand-new to the art form or you’re a musician yourself, these apps are bound to help you out. They vary greatly in the features and tools offered but one thing they have in common is that they are all user-friendly and they all feed into your passion for music.
The best music-making apps for your iPhone
8 Feb 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
This is the best music making app that helps you to make songs on your own. Simply sing and record, the SongMaker app will turn it into a well-made song by smart pitch shifting for your voice with pre-recorded backing music. After recording your song with one of our backing tracks, you can play and edit it with diverse options of voice tuning. With a few taps, you can easily command a set of instruments and chorus for your song like in a recording studio.
- Advanced Auto Voice Tune
- Options of voice mode: such “original,” “tuning,” and “chorus”
- Variety of Genres and Styles
- Save & Edit Lyrics
- Share and export
WEJAM is a really entertaining app for all and any music lovers out there. Not only is it exceptionally easy to use but it's unique because it allows you to jam in real-time with others to create some great new melodies. Feedback in iTunes is great and always good to see interaction in the comments between the developers and the users that have made comments.
- Appeals to all music lovers at any level
- Jam with friends around the globe
- No music-making skills are required
- New instruments constantly added
Here's your chance to start up your own band with the GarageBand app. With this app you'll be able to access all kinds of musical instruments so there's no need to go out and buy them all. The app features a multi-touch keyboard and you can even record your voice so you can sing along. What's cool is that this one sounds just like the real instruments but since it is a digital offering you'll have a huge selection of tools you can make use of to make your song unique. Be sure to record your song so you can then share it through social media and email.
- Make use of a wide variety of instruments
- They sound just like the real thing
- There are all kinds of tools and features you can apply to your song
- Record yourself singing to your song as well
- Share your music by social media and email
Best music making apps for your iPad
Here's a music-based app that can be used by all ages, making it versatile and fun. The Keezy app can be used by kids, teenagers, adults, and even those who are professional musicians as an opportunity to continue to be creative where music is concerned. This one comes with 15 pre-loaded sound boards to experiment with. You'll be able to tap on the colored tiles to make your very own music that you can also record at the same time. You can record your very own sound boards if you like and then save as many as you want. Enjoy playing more than one sound at a time and hold a tile to loop the sound. Keezy app review
- Great for all ages
- The app is user-friendly
- Enjoy making all kinds of great sounds
- There are pre-loaded sound boards and you can record your own
Keezy app review: a super simple and fantastically fun audio sampler with eight separate keys
It's time to let your musical creativity really blossom with the Figure app. This app allows you to make your own music in mere minutes thanks to its user-friendly tools. Create music using the lead synth, bass, and drums for results that are professional-sounding and catchy. In order to make music all you have to do is slide your fingers across the pad. There is no need to have any music-making skills at all because this app will ensure your production sounds incredible. When you're done, feel free to share your music on Propellerhead. Figure app review
- The app is loaded with tools and features
- There is no experience necessary to use the app
- Share your creation on Propellerhead
- Your end results will sound catching and professional
- Just slide your fingers across the pad to make music
Best music making apps for your iPadFigure app review
This app is for musicians of all kinds, songwriters, and producers. Beginners and advanced. No matter if it's your intention to get better on your instrument or playfully find chords and inspiration for your songs or productions. Even if you are a total beginner, this app will help you master music theory, and finally enjoy it!
- Chords within a key are highlighted, they will sound great together, just combine them.
- Lookup how chords are played on the guitar, piano, ukulele or bass guitar! With Left-Hand mode!
- Use the app to teach your students and let them practice chord progressions and scales.
- Share song links with bandmates or your teacher. Receivers can open and work on them in the TONALY app.
Calling all fans of Kaoss products: the KORG iKaossilator app will change the way you think about expressive music. This app allows users to play music simply by rubbing, tapping, or stroking the screen and you can add in visual effects to go along with the sounds. You can make your very own tracks and then loop them, there are 150 sounds that come pre-loaded in the app, and you can even control things in real-time just like an actual DJ would. Of course you can record your performances and there is an audio look import tool to use.
- Create sounds and visuals with the app
- There are 150 built-in sounds
- Play the sounds by rubbing, tapping, or stroking the screen
- Record your performances
- Control aspects in real-time just as an actual DJ would
Becoming a DJ isn't so hard after all when you've got the Filtatron app at your disposal. With this app you can import a song into the sampler and then start making it all your own. This one is a real-time effects and audio filter tool that will transform music into exactly what you want it to be. It is absolutely loaded with tools and is user-friendly thanks to the multi-touch X-Y pads. There are pre-sets that can help you take your song to the next level and you can always share your creation by email and on SoundCloud.
- See what it’s like to be a DJ
- There are multi-touch X-Y pads
- Make use of the pre-sets
- There are real-time effects and audio filter tools
- Share your creation on the SoundCloud and by email
Creating music can be easy when you've got the Caustic app to guide the way. With this app you'll be able to make use of 14 different machines and hear all the results in real-time. The mixer desk features global reverb and delay effects, panning, and an equalizer; meanwhile, the effects rack makes it possible to use two effects per machine. There is a song sequencer and a master section with the limiter, parametric equalizer, and effect slots. Record your creations so you can then share them and the app also allows for importing a variety of file types.
- A sleek way to create music
- Import a variety of music file types
- Record your creations
- The tools are advanced and offer professional results
- Navigating the app is simple and quick
- There are 14 different machines to use in real-time
Not everyone has tons of available space on their device for a music-making tool which is where the SunVox app can fill a void. This one offers a massive collection of features and tools yet manages to take up very little space on your device. It features a modular interface that users seem to love and supports import and export of MIDI files. This one is ideal for professional musicians to use who will find it simple to navigate and find their way around the offerings. The built-in effects and synthesizers will help you to tweak your creations until they're perfect and you can record sounds with the Sampler module.
- There is a massive selection of tools and features
- Record sounds with the Sampler module
- This one is perfect for professional musicians
- Import and export MIDI files
Just because you don't happen to own a drum set doesn't mean you can't enjoy playing them. The Drum Pads 24 app gives users the ability to transform their mobile device into a set of drums where they can create incredible beats. The app comes with a variety of pre-sets that is always growing, giving you the ability to enjoy samples in such styles as trap, dubstep, electronic, glitch, trip hip hop, and more. Of course if you're busy making that perfect drum beat then you want to be able to share it with your friends, which you can do by recording your session. There are two different scenes with 12 pads in each and there are four loop modes that you can use with each pad. Drum Pads 24 app review
- Make use of engaging pre-sets in a variety of styles
- There are two different scenes with 12 pads each
- Record your sessions so you can share them
Drum Pads 24 app review: create great drum recordings
Carry around your very own synthesizer that is filled with tools thanks to the iMini app. This app is meant to be a recreation of the incredible synthesizer that was created in 1971 by Bob Moog. This classic instrument gets a dose of modern technology in the app, providing users with a slick offering and sound quality that is crisp and clear. Feel free to make your very own sounds to start putting together a customized sound palette and you can import and export sounds from your desktop to your mobile device. The speed and sync controls prove to be very valuable in your quest to make music.
- This is meant to look and feel like the 1971 Bob Moog synthesizer
- You can import and export sounds from your desktop to your mobile device
- Create your own customized sound palette
- The sounds are crisp, clear, and high-quality
Tune and play your very own guitar with the AmpliTube app. This app provides users with a full bass tone studio and guitar that you can strum on and create incredible music with. Maybe you are just learning to play or perhaps you're looking for a way to practice and record your creations; in either case, the app can help you. You can put together a bass rig or guitar that features up to six stompbox FX, a speaker cabinet with a mic, and an amplifier. There are more than 100 different gear models and a loop drummer module, and you can export your audio by file sharing, SoundCloud, or email. You can share projects between your devices. AmpliTube app review
- Create guitar music on your mobile device
- Put together a bass rig or guitar
- There are more than 100 gear models
- Share audio by SoundCloud, file sharing, or email
- Share projects between your devices