Have you been looking to learn how to play the guitar but aren’t willing to shell out the big bucks for lessons? Then again maybe you already have the basics down pat and you’re just look to further your knowledge, and practice a bit more. Here’s a list of apps that can help you learn how to play the popular instrument and feature all kinds of different tools. It’s a matter of finding one that matches your learning style and your level of knowledge.
The best iPhone apps for learning guitar 2021
9 Jul 2021, by  Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Fender Play® is the complete learning app for guitar, bass and ukulele. Play your first song in minutes with easy, fun, bite-sized lessons, featuring your favorite songs. Start Your Free Trial Today and play songs and riffs in minutes. Learn with Easy Lessons for Beginners. Structured learning paths guide beginner players through the step-by-step basics - from chords to strumming to scales. 50% Off Annual or Monthly Plan using the code "merry".
- Play on-the-go with Lessons for Guitar, Bass and Ukulele
- Try out new sounds and genres with lessons for both acoustic and electric instruments
- Strumming techniques and skills are broken down into short, manageable lessons by difficulty level
- Learn a skill, then play a song using those techniques
If you’ve ever asked “What chord am I playing?” Reverse Chord Finder Pro, one of the best guitar apps for iPhone is created for you! Just select two or more notes — using piano, stringed instruments, or music notation — and the app will show you the names of the chords that match. The Reverse Chord Finder app for guitar offers a range of both key and special features. Some of the key features includes:
- Entering notes in 3 different modes: Piano/Keyboard, String Instruments (guitar, bass, ukulele, etc.), and Music Score
- Extensive chord database — more than 100 chord types!
- Finding partial chord matches to isolate passing melody notes
- Using the Favorites list to bookmark chords you’ve identified
- See the same chord represented on different instruments or in musical notation
Chordbot, the top iPhone app for guitar players is a song writing tool / electronic backup band that lets you create and play complex chord progressions in different arrangements easily. Just add some chords, select a comping style and hit play. Use this guitar chords app for song writing experiments, to create backing tracks for practicing solos, or just for fun. Easily create arrangements and mixes by selecting from hundreds of piano, guitar, synth, bass and drum tracks.
- 60+ chord types
- 70+ comping style presets
- 400+ instrument tracks
- Manually select chord inversions, or let Chordbot select the smoothest inversion automatically
- Automatic song generator with pop, jazz and experimental profiles
Join more than a million musicians and improve your playing with Tunable - Music Practice Tools, one of the best guitar apps for iPhone. It is more than a chromatic tuner, tone & chord generator, metronome, and recorder, Tunable is a music practice coach that can help you play steadily, in tune, and on beat anywhere you go. Jam-packed with features to help with ear training, breath support, rhythm, timing, and dynamics, this guitar practice app is easy to use yet feature-rich.
- Large, colorful tuning indicator clearly shows when in tune (green fills the screen)
- Sustained Pitch History™ tuning display to see how you’re sustaining notes over time
- Chromatic Tone Generator and Full Piano with multiple tone options
- Large number display with optional visual flash to see the downbeat and each subdivision
- Record and save unlimited recordings
- Transpose notes to any instrument
The Reflow app for learning guitar can import and play any Guitar Pro*, PowerTab or MIDI file you can find on the Internet, giving you access to literally hundreds of thousands of songs to learn and practice. It can be used to compose and practice any song for Guitar, Bass, Drums, Piano, Banjo, and many other instruments as long as it uses Standard Notation or Tablature. This Reflow app for learning guitar is a great addition to your musical tools collection, at an affordable price.
- Many Guitar effects and articulations, such as Bend, Brush, Slides and much more
- Musical directions (Coda, Segno, …)
- Import and playback any Guitar Pro*, PowerTab or MIDI file
- Flexible design allowing you to use different scores for each instrument of your song
- Full vector graphics PDF export for easy manipulation in Illustrator
FourChords, the songbook app for guitar is a beginner-friendly songbook that comes with all you need: Easy chords with lyrics, backing tracks, tutorials, tuner and real feedback! Includes play-along versions for over 2000 hit songs, with no knowledge of tabs or sheet music required. With the FourChords Guitar Songbook, you will gain confidence on your chord and transition skills while having fun playing your favorite songs. The app is intended for:
- For beginners
- For advanced players
- For music teachers:
- Various music genres
This iPhone app for learning guitar gives you instant access to 500,000+ high quality guitar, bass and drum tabs & chords. Featured in the Wall Street Journal as one of "The Best Apps for Learning to Play Music" and as the Apple App of the Week, the Songsterr guitar app for iPhone gives you instant access to 500,000+ high quality guitar, bass and drum tabs & chords. Songsterr Tabs & Chords is a subscription-based app. Free version allows you to check out all the features using 15 second previews of songs.
- Huge catalogue of 500,000+ accurate tabs & chords.
- High transcription quality. There is only one version of tab per song.
- Legality. Music creators get paid.
- Realistic Guitar Engine. Learn and play along with Songsterr.
- Multiple Instruments. Most songs have tabs for individual instruments (guitar, bass, drums, vocal, etc).
- Speed Control. Slow down tab playback to learn difficult parts down to 15%
Fret Trainer, the guitar learning app is the ultimate educational game to learn the notes and chords on the fretboard of the guitar and other stringed instruments. There are 6 instruments available to practice on: Guitar, Bass, 5-String Bass, Mandolin, Ukulele, Banjo. Learn and master all kinds of chord patterns on the guitar with the fretboards app and choose which chords you want to practice on any section of the fretboard, and go at your own pace. You will learn to identify any chord pattern very quickly!
- Explore any of the 63 musical scales with any root note while customizing the scale how you want!
- Train any section of the fretboard. Choose any range of frets that you want.
- Learn and master many kinds of chords on any section of the guitar with any tuning!
- Use the Staff game to learn the position of notes on the musical staff. Learn to read music!
- Follow your progress by viewing your fretboard heat-map. Each fret has its own statistics.
This guitar app is great for users of all levels. So, if you are just starting out or have been playing for years, there’s something in this app for everyone. There are over 11,000 guitar lessons, over 700 songs, core learning system for beginners, learn how to play like famous guitarists, learn top techniques, learn different music genres and so much more. This is one of the most popular guitar lesson apps on the iOS. There are in-app purchases to gain full access. Additionally, there are subscription options.
- A guitar lesson app for users of all skill levels
- Over 11,000 guitar lessons, Over 700 songs
- Learn different genres, Learn how to play like famous guitarists
- Learn top techniques, Core learning system for beginners
- In-app purchases for full access and subscriptions
Are you learning how to play the guitar or ukulele right now and are looking for a catalog of songs? The Ultimate Guitar Tabs app can provide you with a massive collection of notes, chords, and guitar scores for over 400,000 different songs. This is your chance to not only perfect your basic skills but go on to learn all your favorite songs. You can search for what you want by rating, tuning, difficulty, and type, you can access all your favorite tabs offline, and the guitar lessons are all interactive. Even if you have knowledge of how to play this one can still offer plenty to learn from.
- There are more than 400,000 different songs to learn
- Your favorites are available offline
- Search by rating, tuning, difficulty, and type
- The lessons are interactive and well-explained
Now you can look at your mobile device in a whole new light thanks to the Guitar Chords app. This app transforms your device into a six-string, 15-fret guitar where you will be able to start strumming and creating all kinds of music. Thanks to this app you'll be able to master all the chords, there are a variety of guitar sounds to pick from here, you can disable or enable the strings mode, there is chord table mapping, and it supports left- and right-handed players. This one also supports sharing on social media to Facebook.
- This app features a six-string, 15-fret guitar
- Choose from a variety of guitar sounds
- The app supports left- and right-handed players
- Share to Facebook
- Disable or enable strings mode
- The user interface is modern and easy to navigate
It's impossible to play the guitar and sound great if it's out of tune, which is where the Guitar Tuna app can come in handy. This one allows you to tune your guitar as well as bass, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, and other stringed instruments. Customers are in for professional tools as this one has been created by guitarists so they know exactly what users are looking for. This one is very easy and fast to use using your device's built-in microphone. There’s even a mini-game included so you can learn how to play the various chords.
- Use this app to tune a variety of string instruments
- The app is quick and easy to use
- There is a mini-game included to help you learn how to play
- The app uses your device’s built-in microphone
There are plenty of apps that promise to turn your device into a guitar but not all of them are realistic. The Real Guitar Free app aims to be extremely realistic by offering notes that have actually been recorded from a live guitar for that crisp, clear, and authentic sound. Just like with a real guitar you can strike, strum, and even pluck the strings and create songs of your own or play favorites. Additional features include a songbook, a database of tabs and chords, and solo mode. The user interface is modern and sleek, making for an even more enjoyable experience.
- This one is realistic-sounding
- All sounds have been recorded from a live guitar
- The user interface is sleek and modern
- There is a solo mode
- There is a database of tabs and chords
How would you like to have your very own teacher to take you through all your guitar lessons? The CoachGuitar app makes that possible by giving users lessons through tutorials, tabs, and videos. The apptakes its own unique approach to teaching the lessons as this one is very visual and uses colors to make the lessons clear. You will be learning how to play all kinds of popular songs and the emphasis is on music theory. Additional features include a step-by-step approach, the animated color-coded fretboard, HD videos, it supports right and left-handed views, there is a loop and slow motion video, and even a backing track with voice.
- This one takes a unique approach to teaching guitar
- Learn to play a variety of popular songs
- It supports right and left-handed views
- There is a backing track with voice
- Learn through HD videos
- Gives users a way to learn to play at home
- This one can be used by all levels of guitar players
- View slow motion video
- View the correct finger position with diagrams
- Tune your guitar's pitch