From cells to stars, in this list we are going to look at the best science apps for the iPhone, providing you with everything you need to get your science fix each day of the week. You will find science and science news apps which cater to learners of all ages, encompassing every imaginable aspect of science from biology to astronomy and everything in between.
The best science apps for iPhone-2021
5 Mar 2021, by Christine Pamintuan
Brilliant, a science learning app for iPhone, creates inspiring, interactive learning experiences for ages 10 through 110. Award-winning teachers, researchers, and professionals illuminate the soul of math, science, and computer science through fun, bite-sized problem-solving explorations. Brilliant's entertaining and educational course library is great for beginners, and also includes intermediate and advanced topics for professionals and lifelong learners. Brilliance science app features:
- a guided tour through an interactive exploration of concepts and principles
- helps improve your knowledge of science and technology, to be a smarter parent for your inquisitive kid, or simply stay sharp
- helps you build your quantitative intuition and learn frameworks for thinking and solving challenging problems, instead of memorizing formulas
- stay fresh and discuss your favorite solutions with an engaged community of lifelong learners
If you’re a lover of everything science you’ll really appreciate the Science News & Discoveries app. This science news app brings you science news stories from multiple sources and no story is ever repeated so you’re guaranteed to find something fresh every day. You also have the option of setting up push notifications when a new story is released so that you don’t have to keep checking yourself. There are also some links to great interviews and lectures on YouTube available. If you don’t have time to read a new story don’t worry – you can always save it to read later.
- Science news feed from multiple sources
- Stories are never repeated
- Can receive push notifications for new stories
- Interviews and lectures via YouTube
- Save stories to read later
It might not look like it, but the continents are constantly moving and altering over time and with the EarthViewer science app you can take a look at a fun reconstruction of these changes over billions of years. You can also view sea level maps from the past and look at where they’ll be in the future. In fact, you can travel anywhere in the world by navigating your way around a simulated globe. Probably the coolest feature though, is the ability to track the sites of the world’s major cities over millions of years.
- Reconstruction of continents over billions of years
- Sea level maps from the past and projections for the future
- Travel anywhere on a simulated globe
- Track the sites of the world’s major cities over millions of years
Meteorites is a science app that will help you to know how many meteorites have fallen on Earth, when and at what points. These are the points addressed by Meteorites. With more than 35 million points of impact and an interactive map, you can view all meteorites on Earth.
- Simple and user-friendly interface
- 35 million points of impact
- Detailed interactive map
- Real-time updates
With the Idle Human app you will get the unique chance to discover and create the various parts of a human right from the first cell. Have you ever wondered how the human body works? Discover the amazing sequence in which a human body unravels, starting from the very first bones to every organ leading to the nerves and muscles then, finally, a complete human body.
- Learn anatomy with fun
- Start from nothing
- Complete all models
- Create your own robot
As a bit of an amateur astronomer I was really excited to stumble upon the NASA Visualization Explorer app. This amazing effort from NASA lets you explore the solar system in all of its detail. It also includes all of the latest news on advanced space-based research from NASA and you can participate with interactive engagements with the app. New content is added regularly and you’’ really enjoy the ability to connect directly to NASA’s fleet of research spacecrafts.
- Explore the solar system
- Latest news on advanced space-based research
- Interactive engagement
- Connect directly to NASA’s fleet of research spacecraft
- New content regularly
The avid science buff simply can’t get enough of science stories and fortunately there’s an app called World of Wonders – Amazing Science news and Facts that can fill this insatiable appetite for knowledge. It has hundreds of stories to choose from on a range of topics including: physics, biology, and math. You can even download and access these facts offline if you want to. Don’t forget to bookmark your favorites and share fun facts with friends and family by email, Twitter, or Facebook.
- Hundreds of stories to choose from
- Topics include physics, biology, and math
- Download and access facts offline
- Bookmark your favorites
- Share facts via email, Twitter, or Facebook
One of the world’s premier science magazines is Discover Magazine and they now have an app with all of your favorite articles. To make it easier to navigate your way around this science app there’s a comprehensive help section and you can use it to find all of the latest science news. You’ll find stories with all of the current cutting edge theories and developments updated monthly. It is subscription based, but they do offer some free article packages. DISCOVER Magazine app review
- All of your favorite Discover magazine articles
- Comprehensive help section
- All of the latest science news
- New theories and developments updated monthly
- Subscription based, but their occasional free article packages
Most kids learn best when they can participate with interactive apps and Planet Families is that type of app. With this app they can create their own stable solar system in a fun and interactive way. It has stunning HD quality graphics and the simulated gravity lets them know when they’ve got things right. There are even asteroids and stars to offer them a whole universe of possibilities to play with. The kids will love this one.
- Create your own stable solar system
- Fun and interactive
- Stunning HD quality graphics
- Simulated gravity lets you know if you got it right
- Includes asteroids and stars as well
We all know how important the climate change conversation is these days and the Earth-Now science app does a great job of emphasizing that. This app has full graphic visualizations of the latest climate data which includes: surface air temperatures, carbon dioxide levels, and sea levels. To make things easier to read data sets are described using false color maps which is a great touch and there’s a color coded legend that indicates the strengths of environmental conditions. You can even rotate a 3D model of the earth to take a look at conditions anywhere on the planet.
- Graphic visualizations of latest climate data
- Includes surface air temperatures, carbon dioxide levels, and sea levels
- Data sets described using false color maps
- Color coded legends indicate strengths of environmental conditions
- Rotate a 3D model of the earth with one finger
There aren’t too many science enthusiasts that don’t get excited when they hear the word’s International Space Station and if you count yourself among this crowd you’ll love the ISS Finder app. With this app you can track the ISS in real time and you can even receive notifications whenever it’s overhead near your home. You can learn all about the latest crew and what they’re doing and you can access upcoming crew news and schedules as well. Probably the coolest part though is the unprecedented access you have to live videos from within the app. This is a must have app for the science and space enthusiasts out there.
- Track where the International Space Station is in real time
- Get notification whenever the ISS is overhead
- Watch live videos from the ISS
- Learn about the current crew
- Get upcoming crew news schedules