Interactive books can be a lot of fun especially for kids. If you have kids who enjoy these books, then check out our list of the best interactive books for the iPad. Let your kids immerse themselves into new worlds and spark their imaginations like never before. Both you and your kids will truly enjoy these apps.
The best interactive books for iPad
6 May 2021, by  Joseph Batcagan
Welcome to Wit, an interactive book for iPad. It is an open home ground for all creators.
You can share every ideas and information on every possible interest with this app for creating interactive stories. Check out stories, drawings, edits, covers, reviews, daily tips and many more. Your creation will connect you with others.
- Find and follow your interests
- Don't hesitate, start create
- Be a creator! Make friends!
This app brings to life the original Sherlock Holmes story of A Scandal in Bohemia with more than 60 minutes of interactive gameplay and 25 minutes of original soundtrack composed especially for this app. The story is available in English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. It has some great gesture-based controls for the interactive elements, and it brings you back to the same page when you return. This is a universal app that can be used across multiple devices once purchased in full.
- Interactive format with tilt, touch, and turn
- 60+ minutes of story, 25+ mins of soundtrack
- Returns you to the same page
- Universal app
- Supports multiple languages
The iPad is the perfect iDevice for reading interactive books and immersive stories. Sometimes, these stories can really capture your imagination and touch you in a way that you might not experience with any other medium. TooFar Media’s app is a great example of this. Not only are the stories by author Rich Shapero spellbinding and creative, but they are unique experiences that cause readers to drift from reality into fictional worlds. Each story is unique, filled with stunning graphics and accompanied by original tracks. The combination of these factors make this app a must have for any adult who enjoys fictional work that transports you into another world.
- Immersive stories by Rich Shapero
- Three different adventures, One satisfying experience
- Each story has its own musical player and tracks
- Stories are highly praised by critics and fans
- A must have app for adult fiction enthusiasts
This app combines the interactive elements of a game with the immersive storyline of Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne. You play the part of Phileas Fogg's valet, and are responsible for planning out your own route and uncovering the adventure stories embedded into each path. There are over 150 cities that can be explored and each path has its unique storyline. There is gorgeous hand-drawn art featured in the game. Users can race against other players and get inspired by their path around the world.
- Choose your own route
- Explore over 150 cities
- Discover unique stories based on route
- Features beautiful hand-drawn artwork
- Race other players of the game
This text-based interactive game is written by Dan Fabulich and Adam Strong-Morse. You are to choose your own adventure wherein you pick the next course of action from 3 choices as the storyline unfurls. This is a free app supported by ads which can be removed for an IAP of $4.99. It is a text-only game with no other elements so you get quite immersed in the beautiful story which will have you begging for a sequel.
- 30,000 word text-based game
- Available in English and Spanish
- Choose your own adventure
- Simple interface
- Ad-supported app
With this app, you will never view Vincent Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” the same again. In fact, this animated app is hypnotic and strangely therapeutic. You can zoom in on the landscape, listen to background music and really turn this into an experience unlike any other. When you move your finger across the painting, the special effects are impressive and mesmerizing. There are two speed modes, three responsive soundtracks, enchanting animations, tap gestures and much more. This is an app that you actually have to try out before you can really believe why it’s on this list.
- Based on the famous Van Gogh painting
- Tap gestures, Two modes, Two speeds
- Enchanting animation, Dynamic Interaction
- 3 responsive soundtracks
- Immersive 3D zoom and pan capabilities
This app features an interactive comic by author Jason Shiga, who redesigned it specifically to create an infinite panel that will stoke your imagination. Embark on a choose your own adventure journey where you learn about quantum physics and get into all kinds of trouble thanks to a mad scientist. This app in comes with VoiceOver support which also allows users to speak their choices into the microphone instead of having to interact via touch. This makes for a great bedtime story app!
- Rich storyline
- Choose your own adventure
- Redesigned infinite panel
- Compatible with VoiceOver
- Speak choices into the mic
Chemistry is really not that boring. And if you’re still not sold on this notion, then this beautiful app shows you all of the stuff you’ve been missing out on during chemistry class!
- Mixes text and multimedia into one gorgeous package
- Every element is represented succinctly and graphically
- Creative icons for each element make sure that the subject matter can be relatable to anyone
- Full rotating 3D view of every element
- Optional 3D specs to heighten experience sold separately
In this interactive story, you have to make decisions for the female protagonist who must choose between her suitors. She faces the eternal choice of the sweet and kind and romantic man versus the edgy and passionate bad boy. The choices you make through the storyline will influence the outcome of the love story, and you will get to play chapters again and again to further affect the outcome.
- Female protagonist
- Choose between many suitors
- Beautiful illustrations
- Influence the love story outcome
- Free game with IAP bonuses