Unfortunately, there is no auto pilot for the less glamorous side to aviation; namely, the side with all the red tape. Enter the mobile device in your pocket and the perfect aviation app. Follow weather and get warnings about dangerous weather conditions, or file your flight plan right from your iPhone. Keep all your historical flight data in once place and sync across devices or use your phone to schedule a group fly-in in uncontrolled airspace. The sky is the limit with this list of the best aviation tool apps for iPhone!
The best aviation tool apps for iPhone
2 Jun 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
FlyGo is the aviation app for iPhone. Its ease of use is at the core of everything creates, and this logbook app is designed to be both simple and intuitive on your devices. In the FlyGo app for iPhone you can create logbook entries, eliminating the need to manually enter basic flight information like dates, total flight time, and route. It also comes with the Auto- Filter & Auto Fill features, so you can get the most out of your device and the maximum of your flying experience.
- Regularly updated according to EASA and FAA requirements
- Brings all your flight data together; you can easily browse, search, and organize all your files in one place
- Find more than 50 000 airports worldwide by name, location, ICAO or IATA code. You can use all this data offline
- Select, add or remove unique columns to make your logbook fit your personal needs
- Transform your digital flight entries into a format suitable to print for personal backup or professional job interviews
Welcome to 21st century piloting, with MyFlightbook. Track your time, log flights, and keep track of currency, all the while storing your data safely in the cloud. Swipe to the My Aircraft page and select your aircraft, and when entering your flight data the app will autofill relevant details. View your flight plan route on a map, and access it from anywhere. Keep track of all your in-flight totals on the Flying Totals screen, or review individual flight data. You can even upload photos of your aircraft, airports, or tourist destinations.
- Track time
- Log flights
- Keep track of totals
- Upload photos
- Free aviation tool app for iPhone
ForeFlight is a best-selling aviation app, having won awards from Flying Magazine and Aviation Consumer. This electronic flight bag and flight planning app is used by private and professional pilots worldwide. Includes weather, maps and charts, logs, and more. Users can file or cancel IFR and VFR plans seamlessly from their iOS device or Apple Watch, and get acknowledged by ATC right on the app screen. Ideal for fixed-wing pilots. Features include synthetic vision which shows pilots a virtual terrain with safe elevations conveniently color coded. All the information needed to plan your route is located in the app.
- Best-selling aviation app
- Electronic flight bag
- Flight planning
- File or cancel IFR and VFR plans
- Get acknowledged by ATC
VatMap gives you a complete view of the VATSIM Network right on your mobile device. Pilots can even use this handy app to double as a flight bag. This is truly the easiest way for pilots to track VATSIM data right from the cockpit. VATSIM flights can now be planned, watched, tracked and seen. Features include: all ATC, data updates each minute, check arrivals and departures, and even add or remove friends. Perfect for sequencing a group fly-in when flying outside controlled airspace. Customizable preferences, users can adjust settings to show all planes, pilots or ATC vs yourself.
- View of VATSIM Network
- Add or remove friends
- Data updates each minute
- Perfect for group fly-in
- Free aviation tool for iPhone
Are you an aviation buff? Do you like to stay updated with aviation news? Simple flying is for you! Simple Flying is the world's fastest growing aviation news site and they now have an app! Newly updated app with bug fixes and improvements. Always know what is happening in the aviation world, and share the exciting news with your friends!
- Over 60 new aviation stories per week written by talented journalists.
- International aviation news, every region covered.
- They handpick and write up only the best/most interesting stories.
- Get notified every time they publish a new story, always be in the know!
Launch the MyRadar app and get instant weather information, specific to your location. The interface can be magnified or moved with a swoop of your finger, allowing you to see beyond your location to other spots of interest in the USA. Weather information comes from raw NOAA data from the National Weather Service. The display shows the radar in high resolution animation, so you can see for yourself what weather is on the horizon. This app is indispensable for fixed-wing or helicopter pilots. The app pushes notifications for alerts or warnings about inclement weather. In-app purchase options include hurricane tracker, for $2.99.
- Location specific weather radar
- Data from National Weather Service
- High-resolution animation
- Push notifications, alerts, warnings
- In-app purchases include hurricane tracker
Reduce your duty time with dBrief Pilot logbook. It was designed by a flight instructor to help reduce your red tape. This app makes light work of the drudgery of logging flights. Features include auto-filling, touch fill, and keyboard shortcuts. Set defaults to preferred aircraft to reduce your time spent entering details. Cloud syncs from any device, and enables you to keep a duplicate logbook in your EFB. Allows users import of historical flights and easily explore currency for the past 90 days. Get notified of your flight review date. Records pilot time, and automatically calculates and formats in accordance with IACRA list.
- Cut flight logging red tape
- Import historical flights
- Explore currency for past 90 days
- Free aviation tool app for iPhone
Use your current GPS location and view skew-t log-p charts, latitude or longitude, and airport identifier with SkewTLogPro. Touch a map and check out Skew T Log soundings. Every chart gives users information as to temperature, winds aloft, dew point, and wind speed. Users can view your charts off line, or view along your route; scroll to review forecast or past charts. Intuitive functionality allows zoom in on the map to increase detail. Keep track of history, with ability to view previous locations. Features include support for Canadian airports.
- Use current GPS
- View skew-t log-p charts
- View charts off line
- Scroll to review forecast or past charts
- Zoom in to increase detail
The Aviation Pilot Duty and Performance Calculator app is geared toward professional pilots. This amazing app bundles a myriad of necessary aviation calculations into a single application. Clear your mobile devices with all the aviation apps draining your memory and get streamlined with just this one which does it all. Features include a date calculator that handles MEL due dates and VOR Check. Computes flight time/rolling block requirements, and handles departure gradients, enroute descents, landing performance summaries, duty and rest requirements and much more. Even get the app to handle all your daily utilized aviation conversions!
- Geared toward professional pilots
- Many aviation calculations in one app
- Date calculator that handles MEL due dates
- Computes flight time/rolling block
- Handles daily utilized aviation conversions
The ultimate cheat sheet for aviation students, the Aviation Abbreviation Dictionary is a one-stop source for all aviation related abbreviations. This is a must-have for the aviation student, as it helps increase learning and understanding. Students have access to over 600 abbreviations at their fingertips. Easily search to find virtually any aviation related abbreviation and its definition. Certified Flight Instructors should have all their students include this app in their basic materials for learning, and there is no cost to trying it. The app is free, with ads. Remove ads with an in-app purchase of $0.99.
- Cheat sheet for aviation students
- Search aviation related abbreviations
- Helps aviation students learn
- Must have for students and instructors
- Full version with ads, free
Aviation W&B Calculator was designed by pilots for pilots, with the goal to give you a quick and easy way to figure out airplane weight and balance. You can build your own airplane templates or use the app’s 240+ predefined airplane templates. Features include variable fuel arm support, a professional load sheet summary, alerts when exceeding max weights, and more. You will know your maneuvering speed in regard to TOW, you can share your template with friends, and it’s easy to manage your tail numbers. This is one app you will use all the time.
- Normal, Utility, and Aerobatic categories
- Regular and Moment envelopes
- Professional load sheet summary
- Build your own templates or use the predefined airplane templates
- One-time purchase includes all features