Living with diabetes and managing the disease can be a bit scary, overwhelming, and frustrating at times. We’ve come across a number of apps that have been designed to help you with the management side of things providing you with information, tracking tools, and calculators in the hopes of taking the guesswork and hassle of out of things. It may be that just one of these does the trick for you, or you may find you want a couple of them.
The best iPhone and iPad apps for diabetes
29 Jul 2021, by  Cherry Mae Torrevillas
The Diabetes Tracker app for iPhone provides the modern log book you need to help you keep your diabetes in check. With this iPhone app for diabetes, you can track your blood glucose readings and your insulin and meds intakes with the least possible effort. See 4 days (7 on iPad) of your blood glucose tests and meds intake in a single screen, designed specifically to help you see evolutions and compare data from one day to another. What you need to do is enter your blood glucose level, your insulin or meds intake, your carbs eaten for a given period in a single quick input screen.
- Easy input of your data by tapping any cell in the logbook
- Multi criteria search system to quickly find the data you need
- Add tags to your records to identify specific food types or circumstance
- (Premium) Backup your data and sync all your devices with iCloud
- Automatically import your activity, blood glucose and insulin intake data from the Apple Health App
- Protect access to your data with either FaceID or TouchID
Sugarmate is a companion app for users of the Dexcom G4/G5/G6 continuous glucose monitoring system. It works great for both the CGM wearer or follower. Why use Sugarmate with your CGM? The ultimate answer is this:For your peace of Mind!
- Receive a phone call when glucose levels go below normal while you're sleeping (even when your phone is in Do Not Disturb mode).
- Steady Above Normal, Predictive High, and Predictive Low notifications with customizable alert sounds.
- Over 30 customizable tiles, including a mini-graph and other stats.
- Generate and email spreadsheet reports with graphs, stats and all readings, activity and notes.
If you are living with diabetes then you know exactly how hard it is to manage and make sure it is kept under control at all times. The DiabetesConnect app has been developed so that managing your diabetes doesn't begin to feel like a full-time job. The tools and design of the app seem to fit the needs of diabetes sufferers perfect, and that could be because the app was designed by diabetics. This one can be used by those with Diabetes Type 1 or 2 and allows you to track what you have eaten as bread units, it offers support for mmol/l and mg/dl, it provides you with all your statistics and data, and you can sync it with each of your devices.
- Use this app to manage your diabetes data
- View statistics through the app
- Supports mmol/l and mg/dl
- Tracks what you eat as a bread unit
- Those with diabetes Type 1 or 2 can use it
Tracking your blood sugar provides a snapshot of what's happening in your body in relation to diabetes. The Health2Sync app provides users with a way to not only track their blood sugar in a simple way, but also gives them information about what their numbers mean. All you have to do is enter in your blood sugar reading and then you can also add additional information such as a photo, how you are feeling, any food you ate, medication you took, and more. If you've got the Health2Sync Smart Cable to can use it with your glucometer to do a bulk upload. Tables and graphs are created of your data, there is an A1c tracker, a friend or family member can be your "partner" on the app, and there is a diary.
- Log your blood sugar readings with ease
- Instantly view your data on charts and tables when you launch the app
- Supports the Health2Sync Smart Cable for bulk uploads
- Offers an A1 tracker
- There is a diary tool
Managing your diabetes means keeping careful and meticulous track of your blood sugar readings. The mySugr Diabetes Logbook app has been created to make logging and tracking a simple and quick process. This one can be used by anyone who has diabetes Type 1 or 2 and gives you a way to not only track your readings, but also many other duties. Go ahead and log any medication you are taking, log your meals, get an HbA1c estimate, receive motivational feedback, and take on challenges. The app offers backup, supports Apple Health, and it is deemed a registered Class 1 medical device. mySugr app review
- High-quality registered Class 1 medical device
- Supports backup of your information
- Supports Apple Health
- Track blood sugar readings, medications, meals, and more
- Take on health challenges
If you suffer from diabetes it can be helpful to read about ways to better help understand and manage your disease. The AAA+ Diabetes Digest app provides users with a digital publication that will help any diabetic understand their health in a more in-depth manner. The magazine is released monthly and features such things as stories from diabetics meant to inspire others, recipes that are diabetes-friendly and will help you shake up your normal routine in the kitchen, helpful tricks and tips you can use in your daily life, and of course the very latest news regarding diabetes.
- This is a monthly magazine
- Free app for diabetics
- Get the latest news on diabetes
- Get a variety of diabetes-friendly recipes
- Read about tricks and tips
Whether you suffer from diabetes or another illness/disease it's important to alert medical responders of your condition. The ICE Standard ER with Smart911 app has been designed to let medical responders know about your health conditions even if you can't physically tell them yourself. The way it works is that your information is stored on your devices lock screen so they can view it immediately. The app uses a color-coding system to let responders know the severity of risk you are. As well it will give information to the 911 service and a family member before any sort of emergency happens, so should something arise they've already got those details. ICE Standard app review
- Use it to alert medical responders of health conditions you have
- The color-coded system to grade the severity of your condition
- The app will relay medical information to 911 and a family member before an emergency
- Your information displays on your device’s lock screen
The Glucose Wiz app makes it possible for you to become a pro when it comes to keeping track of your blood and glucose readings. Keeping an accurate log is what makes it possible to get a snapshot of how you are coping with the disease and how healthy your body is. Log such information as your blood and sugar readings, your weight, and medication taken, and make notes. The app then takes that information and creates a chart so you can get a snapshot of your health. Additional features include being able to share your log with your doctor, create reminders inside the app, view a glucose chart by day, week, month, or year, and much more.
- Log your blood and glucose readings with ease
- View your information in chart form
- Look at your glucose chart readings by day, week, month, or year
- Create reminders within the app
- Share content with your doctor
If you've been looking for the perfect way to log your blood sugar readings then the MyGlycemia app could be the answer for you. This is perfect for the person who doesn't just want to log numbers but is also looking for added functionality. The app makes it possible to record your rates at various times of the day, you will get an alert if you are approaching hypoglycemia, there is a reminder alarm to take your reading two hours after you have eaten, you can view your data as a chart, you can share information with your doctor, and you can save important medical contact information. This is actually just the tip of the iceberg as to what this app offers.
- Meant for users who want to be able to do more than just log readings
- View your data in chart form
- Get reminders and alerts
- Store contact information
- Share content with your doctor