There’s no reason to question your spelling on a word or struggle to find another word to use because this list of dictionary and thesaurus apps will help you each and every time. These are perfect for students or anyone who just wants the convenience of these tools. All are easy to use and they may just give you a bit of a vocabulary lesson in the process.
The best dictionary and thesaurus apps for iPad
6 Apr 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
This is a thesaurus app for iPhone. The application has been developed and driven by PowerThesaurus.org (popular online thesaurus). The Power Thesaurus app gives access to 80 million synonyms and antonyms
- Lighting fast, convenient and comprehensive
- Easy-to-follow look & feel - with powerful assisting tools
- Real-time data
- Filter synonyms and antonyms - by parts of speech
- Flexible sorting - by rating, alphabetically, number of syllables or length
- Term copy & pronounce
This app is tailored to professionals, students, and academics, as well as anyone who needs a comprehensive and authoritative dictionary of current English at work or at home. The intelligent search features, leading to a rich word list with special language notes, cross-curriculum words and the prompt navigation - all contribute to your unique user experience. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. The app features:
- Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
- Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help improve your writing and speech.
- Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names).
- Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
- Offline audio support (internet connection is NOT required).
Dictionary is for anyone who cares about how they present themselves in writing. Dictionary is a thesaurus and dictionary app that will define any word you search, ensuring that you don’t commit the sin of the malapropism. Check your spelling against the world’s most reliable sources for English, such as Webster’s Dictionary, The American Heritage Dictionary, and Roget’s Thesaurus. Users will also get free access to a Medical Dictionary, English Idioms and Slang Dictionary, and more. Features include translations into 40 languages, and much more. This handy app works offline, so you’ll never be caught without this helpful reference app.
- Avoid misusing words
- Check spelling
- Translation into 40 languages
- Works offline
- Free dictionary app for iPad
Wordflex Touch Dictionary is a unique dictionary that is brain-friendly and much more than a reference tool. Wordflex is an interactive app for word lovers to experience language in an innovative and way. The app is perfect for personal use or for classroom use, and is a must-have for writers or crossword fans. The app allows users to explore mind maps of new and interesting words. Features include shifting between multiple maps, and human voice for both British and American English. Users can share their extraordinary etymological epiphanies via social media and expose their philistine friends to their vocabulary brilliance.
- Brain-friendly dictionary
- Interactive reference tool
- Mind map words
- Share on social media
- Human voice pronunciation
When you can access an app’s content offline, that’s when you know that you have found a keeper. This dictionary app and translator can be done offline and supports dozens of languages. It’s easy to use, fast, translates words, offline pronunciation, English dictionary and Thesaurus, search for sentences or words, image search, has a picture dictionary, word correction, word reminder, history of searches, add to your favorites, add notes and more. There is an in-app upgrade for the Premium Version which has many more cool features like ad-free, more dictionaries, Cloud backup and instant customer support.
- An offline dictionary and translator
- Supports many languages, Search tools
- English Dictionary and Thesaurus, Images
- History, Favorites, Notes, Word Reminder, Word Correction
- In-app purchase for the Premium Version
Maybe you grew up Amish. Maybe English isn’t your first language. Maybe you are just plain old. Whatever your damage, you need to know what twerking means. Enter the official Urban Dictionary app. A dictionary for slang, Urban Dictionary will shed light on the things you always wanted to know about slang, but were afraid to ask. Just enter your word and see full text of the definition. Chances are it doesn’t mean what you thought it meant! Featuring a word of the day, autocomplete for your searches, and definitions of non-slang words.
- Slang dictionary
- Full text definition
- Word of the day
- Free slang dictionary for iPad
With more than two million antonyms, synonyms, and definitions it's hard to beat what the Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus for iPad app offers. You'll get example sentences, a word history and origin, you can keep track of your search history, and you'll get audio pronunciations. The Word of the Day gives you a great opportunity to expand your vocabulary and because this app doesn’t require Internet access you can use it anywhere. There are additional dictionaries such as the science, medical, and slang dictionary, plus there is even a translator that supports more than 30 languages.
- This app can fill the spot of a few apps
- Use the dictionary and the thesaurus
- There are more than two million entries
- There is a built-in translator that supports 30 languages
- This one works offline
- Keep track of your favorite words
This dictionary app is a nice change of pace for those of you that may have grown tired of the same old dictionary app. Here, you can listen to audio definitions and pronunciations of words and there over 180,000 words in this app. There’s no need for Internet as this app works offline. You can select the type of English voice that you would like to hear, set the voice speed, change the voice pitch and more. There are search options to help find words quickly. And lastly, this app is 100% free!
- Audio dictionary with over 180,000 words
- Listen to the words and definitions offline
- Choose from different English accents, Change pitch
- Choose the voice speed, Search options
- 100% Free, Type your own text and listen
Finding the proper spelling for a word, learning its meaning, or even finding another word to use in its place is all made possible with the WordBook (Universal) app. This app is packed with information as there are more than 150,000 entries that feature over 220,000 definitions. There are also usage samples to be sure that the word is crystal clear for you. As an added bonus this one also has audio pronunciations of the word so you aren't struggling to sound it out. The built-in thesaurus is able to connect words semantically.
- The app offers more than 150,000 entries with over 220,000 definitions
- There are more than 70,000 word usage samples
- There is audio pronunciations of the words
- Make use of the built-in thesaurus
- There is a bookmark tool
- Learn from the Words of the Day
If doesn't matter if you're an English student in college, a high school student, or someone who writes in their job on a daily basis; a dictionary and thesaurus can come in quite handy. The Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus (Universal) app is loaded with the information you're looking for with almost 600,000 entries and almost five million words. The app features advanced search technology, there is audio pronunciation, you won't need an Internet connection to use it, and the definitions are clear and easy to understand. There is a bookmark tool that comes in handy and this is a universal offering.
- There are almost 600,000 entries with almost five million words
- No Internet connection is required
- The bookmark tool proves to be handy
- Listen to audio pronunciation of words
- The app has an advanced search tool
Have you been looking to get your hands on a thesaurus but don't want to lug one around with you? Download the English Thesaurus app and you'll have everything you need right on your mobile device. This one makes it possible to find the exact right word for your purposes each and every time. There are a variety of search options meant to make the user experience all the smoother. There are more than 1,767,000 synonyms and over 361,000 antonyms at your fingertips. There are even pictures that accompany many of the words. Mark words as favorites and choose the theme you want.
- This one offers a user-friendly experience
- Mark words as favorites
- Customize the look of the app
- There are a variety of ways to search for words
- You can enter full phrases not just a single word
Learn new English vocabulary every day with Atlas! Atlas provides English words in context along with their pronunciation and synonyms. You can do many games like exercises to practice words you've learnt. No matter how well you speak the English language, you can always learn new words and expand your knowledge of vocabulary.
- Choose one of the three levels according to your current proficiency level.
- You can change your level on your profile.
- A variety of exercise types.
- Revising what you have learned.
- Keep track of your progress through the tests we prepared.
- Learning words in categories