This is a vastly comprehensive iPhone and iPad dictionary app which has been designed to provide you with unfettered ad-free access to America’s most useful and respected dictionary and thesaurus courtesy of the world renowned Merriam-Webster.
The best dictionary and thesaurus apps for iPhone
Having been developed in collaboration with Merriam-Webster, it should go without saying that this is obviously a very high-quality dictionary and thesaurus app with some great attention to detail and a truly immense amount of content.
The Merriam-Webster dictionary app runs on devices with iOS 10.0 and watchOS 4.0 or later with support of up to iOS 14.0 and it is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. It will need 262.9 MB of free memory space on your mobile device to download and install.
Keep reading our Merrimam Webster app review for more details and, when finished, check out our best dictionary apps list for more options.
Search for Words By Using Your Voice
This is the paid, ad-free version of Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus, providing unlimited access to a vast dictionary and thesaurus complete with all manner of content including quick definitions and example sentences.
The best dictionary and thesaurus apps for iPad
You’ll even find audio pronunciations so that you don’t make a fool of yourself when learning new words! I also really like the way the developer has incorporated voice recognition into the app so that you can search for words and phrases by simply speaking into your device’s microphone.
Learn a New Word Every Single Day
Every day you’ll receive a new Word of the Day. I really like this feature because it’s a great way of learning some new words, and boosting your vocabulary in a relatively fun and casual fashion.
Best iphone and ipad apps
In addition to all of this, you’ll be pleased to know that you can also add your most frequently used words to your Favorites list for quick and easy future reference. This is ideal for learning a new word and then keeping it close to hand for a few days so that you don’t forget about it.
What’s more, you’ll also find foreign words and phrases that are commonly used in English as well as biographic and geographic entries where relevant.
Pros and Cons
- Enjoy completely ad-free access to America’s most useful and respected dictionary and thesaurus
- Enjoy a new Word of the Day every day
- Find quick definitions, audio pronunciations, example sentences, and more
- Search by speaking thanks to voice recognition
- Complete with graphical illustrations and foreign words commonly used in English
- Also includes biographic and geographic entries
- Keep track of the words you’re looking up with the Recents list
- Add your most frequently accessed entries to your Favorites list for quick and easy future reference
- There is nothing negative to say about this app
Merriam-Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus is a powerful addition to the Reference category of the App Store and a great iPhone and iPad app through and through.