Your iDevice can make for the perfect compass, especially if you are going on an outdoor adventure or need some simple navigation. Additionally, if you are more of an advanced user, there are compass apps that come with some cool features to meet the needs of those advanced navigators or outdoor enthusiasts. So, if you are looking for a great compass app, then check out our list of the best compass apps for your iPhone and iPad.
The best compass apps for iPhone and iPad
28 Nov 2016, by Christine Pamintuan
This app is more than just a compass, it’s a GPS toolkit for users who love the outdoors and off-road adventures. It’s packed with tools that will help you in just about any scenario. There’s a compass and gyrocompass with advanced calibration, add points to from maps, manually enter coordinates and bearings, find saved places, GPS, Speedometer, and Altimeter, different map styles and so much more. This compass app should meet just about any need you could have for navigation even if you navigate by the stars.
- Advanced calibrated Compass and Gyrocompass
- Different style maps, Add points to maps
- GPS Toolkit, Speedometer, Altimeter
- Track positions of Sun, Moon and Stars
- Save coordinates or Share coordinates with others
Commander Compass Lite for iPad app review
Compass 54 is a wonderful compass iPad or iPhone app that gets the job done. It has many features that users really enjoy like: Compass, Location, Weather, Date and Maps. The app has a sleek design with HD retina display and GPS for location service. The weather data is collected by Yahoo! Weather, the Compass allows you to switch between true and magnetic north, the Location service provides coordinates, course, speed and altitude. Even the Date function has options. We all love options in life and our apps.
- Sleek design with HD Retina Display
- Compass that shows direction and magnetic fields
- Location with coordinates, Course, Speed and Altitude
- Weather with Temp, Humidity and Pressure
- Maps with current location and tracking
DueNorth makes it easy for users to find their direction or which direction they may be facing. The app is ad-free and quickly aids in finding an accurate direction. It’s an essential tool for outdoor users. The “Dark Mode” makes seeing the directions much easier, regardless of lighting. Find your longitude and latitude coordinates and share them with others. Just one touch of the screen and the user can find their direction and navigate more efficiently.
- A quick, easy way to find your direction
- An essential tool for outdoor users
- Find and share latitude and longitude coordinates
- Dark Mode makes it easy to see regardless of lighting
- One quick tap to find position and direction
If you are looking for a free compass app for the iPhone, that’s also very simple to use, then this is definitely your app. In fact, compass apps don’t get any simpler or more basic than this one. The entire display screen is basically filled with the direction you are heading in. The app has a true magnetic North selector and an accuracy meter. There’s no mistaking which direction you are heading in if using this app. Additionally, the letter of the direction is big enough for even those users who have difficulties with their vision.
- Very basic and efficient compass app
- Large letters for direction, Easy to see
- Accuracy Meter and full screen support
- True Magnetic North Selector
- Doesn’t get any easier than this app
This accurate compass app is free and without ads. It also has some additional features that provide more options than your basic compass app. With GPS and an online map feature, users are able to easily and quickly pinpoint their exact location. The developers pride this app on being user friendly without any hidden menus or fees. All of the features and settings can be accessed from the main screen. Enjoy this app in both portrait and landscape modes. Download this app and experience its high quality GPS and navigational features.
- 100% free, without any ads
- Access all settings and features from main screen
- GPS and online mapping to pinpoint location
- Simple to use and High Quality
- View in both portrait and landscape mode
Gyro Compass app review: an all-encompassing navigation app
This premium navigation tool is best used by advanced users like soldiers, professional navigators, and search and rescue personnel. In a matter of seconds, you can find your current location and then navigate to a waypoint. You don’t need a cell phone signal to use this app as its GPS based and finds your location quickly. There’s a universal transverse Mercator, latitude and longitude lines, ordnance survey national grid, military date and time, customizable navigation screens, create unlimited waypoints and many more features that you can check out in our app review. Additionally, the developers are constantly looking for ways to improve the app and add more cool features.
- A premium navigational tool
- Best for advanced users, soldiers, search and rescue
- Quickly find your location and create a waypoint
- Advanced Mapping functions, choose between Apple or Google maps
- Don’t need cell signal, UTM, Customized screens, Unlimited waypoints
MilGPS Tactical GPS app review: providing accurate GPS data for navigating unfamiliar areas
Forget downloading just a compass app or a weather app, get one that has the best of both like this awesome app. Optimized for the newer iPhones, this app provides a nice, sleek design with plenty of cool features. The compass can switch between true and magnetic north, the GPS function allows you to pinpoint location and track it with high accuracy, also view your speed and height, the Weather function provides temp, wind, humidity and more. Easily view the date and time, choose between different map modes, ensure that you are accurately informed on your exact location and direction.
- A compass app with many cool features
- GPS function with accurate location and tracking
- Weather function with temp, humidity, visibility and more
- Altimeter, Speedometer, Time and Date
- Mapping capabilities, Various map modes
Weather Compass GPS+ app review: a multi-featured app
This compass app for iPhone and iPad has an intuitive design with retina display. Additionally, the developers added some cool sound effects and animation effects just to make your experience a little more unique. There are two working modes for the app: the true north which is based on GPS and the magnetic north. The app also has a Maps function for navigation. In addition to a large compass that’s easily viewable, there’s the latitude and longitude coordinates and the degrees displayed on the main screen. There’s an icon to tap on for info and settings in case you need to learn more about the app or want to change something within the settings.
- Intuitive design with retina display
- Two modes: true north and magnetic north
- Large display with easy to see compass
- Displays degree, longitude and latitude coordinates
- Some cool animations and sound effects
Compass by iVogel shows real-time orientations to magnetic fields on a large display screen that makes it easy to view the direction you are heading. Additionally, the main display screen also shows your longitude and latitude coordinates, a Speedometer for miles per hour or kmh, and an Altimeter for height in feet or meters. The app also provides you with the ability to add, view or delete routes of travel. There’s a Map function with various modes, a Weather function that has all of the pertinent details and more great features that you can check out in our review.
- Large display screen for Compass
- Google Maps for location and tracking
- Save, view and delete routes
- Altimeter, Speedometer, Switch between metrics
- Weather function with temp, humidity, pressure
Compass by iVogel app review: helping you to find your way
This app provides users with a compass that has some style. There are over 15 themes for users to choose from with full retina support and works on both the iPhone and iPad. It’s easy to switch from different themes and very easy to use the compass. Never get lost again and always make sure you know what direction you are heading in with the help of this app. This app does come with ads. However, you can remove the ads through an in-app purchase. Style and direction have never been easier than this app.
- A digital compass
- 15 different themes to choose from
- Full retina support for iPhone and iPad
- Switch between different themes
- In-app purchase to remove ads