For those who enjoy the hobby of quilting it seems there are always new techniques you can learn in addition to the classic ones. Additionally, you can find inspiration and ideas in a variety of places. This list of apps is dedicated to those people with a love of quilting who would like to take their knowledge of their hobby and expand it. Within this list you'll find patterns, tutorials, ways to save money on your projects, and project ideas.
The best iPhone apps for quilting
2 Feb 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Are you a crafty person? Do you enjoy or want to learn different crafts? The Craftsy app is a great way for crafty newbies or veterans to learn various skills through enjoyable online classes. These classes cover a wide range of topics like photography, painting, crochet, knitting, drawing, cooking and more. Millions of users have downloaded this app and enjoy a newfound set of skills or have honed the ones they already have experience with. Download lessons, watch later even without internet, ask questions and more. There are in-app purchases for different craft subjects.
- Millions of users have downloaded this app
- Enjoy online classes on different crafts
- Great for beginners and veterans
- Download lessons, Ask questions, Watch later
- In-app purchases for different craft subjects
Crafty Amino is one of the fastest growing social networks for crafters. Build your profile, display your crafts, connect with other crafters, discuss craft and DIY projects or items, gain followers or follow others, create polls and discussions, chat about the latest craft news or trends, meet local crafters and more. This app has really become a hit with the crafting community. Crafters have an easier time connecting with others, learning new ideas and techniques, growing their brand and more.
- A growing social network for crafters
- Discuss crafts, DIY projects, trends and news
- Build a profile, Show off your crafts
- Follow others, Build your own following
- Create polls and discussions
Are you new to quilting and you are busy trying to pick up the basics, or perhaps you're an advanced quilter who is ready for more of a challenge? Either way you'll find plenty to keep you busy in the Quilting Tutorials by Missouri Star Quilt Company app. This app teaches you how to quilt by Jenny Doan who is with the Missouri Star Quilt Company. The Missouri Star Quilt Company has an online store where you can purchase quilting supplies, fabrics, and tools and now you can take advantage of its free quilting tutorial videos.
- Learn how to quilt by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company
- There are a variety of free quilting tutorial videos to take you through all the steps
- Each video has a text introduction that you can read about first
As far as popular quilting magazines go the Patchwork and Quilting app is an excellent offering for those with a love of the hobby. It's within these pages you'll find all kinds of information, tips, and project ideas for quilting, patchwork, textiles, and appliqué work. The digital publication is simple to browse through, just flip through the pages as you would an actual magazine. The photos are high quality and are lively and bright, which helps to inspire you even further. There are a number of subscription options available to choose from.
- This publication is meant for any level of quilter
- There is plenty of content for quilting, patchwork, textiles, and appliqué work
- Flip through the pages with ease just as you would an actual magazine
- There are a number of subscription options
- The photos are beautiful and inspiring
- Get plenty of project ideas through the publication
While quilting is a skill that many people love the mathematics involved aren't always such a fun part of the hobby. The QuiltingCalc app presents users with eight different quilting calculators. What these do is take all the guesswork out of your project. They are able to convert fabric measurements, calculate how much fabric is needed for the border, there is a backing and batting calculator, a pieces to area calculator, a piece count calculator so you don't find yourself short, a binding calculator, a set-in and corner triangle calculator, and a square-in-a-square calculator. Each calculator has been designed to be quick and user-friendly so you can get on with your project.
- Takes all the guesswork out of your pattern/project
- There are eight different calculators provides
- Each one is fast and user-friendly
- Create perfect pieces of work each and every time
Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a quilting project only to wonder how much fabric you need in order to finish it? The QuiltFab app will help you answer that question by having you first answer a few quick questions. You'll be able to set your quilt's height and width, the binding width, the fabric's usable width, the size of alternate plain blocks, and plenty of other information. What's handy is that you can save all your information so you don't have to try to remember it. Just come back and review your project whenever you like.
- The app helps you figure out how much fabric you need to finish a project
- You will answer a series of questions
- You can save the information for your project so you can look at it anytime
Here's a reference-based tool that can come in handy for any level of quilter and it's the Quick & Easy Quilt Block Tool app. This one will help you figure out how to plan your quilting blocks thanks to the user-friendly cutting charts. There are 102 rotary-cut quilt blocks that come in five sizes. You've got more than 500 options when it comes to the traditional quilt blocks you can use. You can mark blocks as favorites, make use of the reference tables, there is no math required in any of the guides, and you can even get cutting instructions.
- This one can be used by any level of quilting
- There is no math calculations necessary
- Learn how to cut
- Use the reference tables
- There are user-friendly cutting charts with 102 rotary-cut quilt blocks in five sizes
If you're a quilter that makes projects on a regular basis then there is a good chance you've got quite a bit of fabric laying around. The Fabric Stash app acts as a management and organizational tool. All you do is take a photo of your fabric and then it is stored in your own personal database. Through the app you can start matching up fabrics for project ideas, know how much fabric you have instantly, organize the fabrics how you choose, create categories, and more. There is also the option to create a Wish List of fabrics you want to pick up so you don’t forget about them in the meantime.
- Store photos of all the fabrics you have
- Create categories and organize your fabric in them
- Match up fabrics to make a project
- Create a Wish List of fabrics you still want