Social networking has become an insanely popular way to connect and interact with others. From college students to professionals and anyone in between, social networking apps have replaced conventional forms of communication. This list is filled with apps that implement some of the best features, most popular options and newer editions into the world of social networking apps.
The best social networking apps for iPhone and iPad
29 Jan 2017, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
Path was designed to be the mobile dining room table of social networking environments. Share all of your life's important or silly moments and share with your friends and family. Talk about your favorite shows, movies, songs and more. You have control over who you want to see your Path profile. And a great feature of this app is that you can share your Path moments through other major social networking apps on this list. There are in-app purchases to enhance your experience and offer more customizable options. Create your own social networking path with this app.
- Keep personal updates for friends and family to follow
- Collect and share moments
- Messaging to those you allow to see your Path
- Shop for additional stickers to spice up your posts
- Great design and simple to use
Best Photo Sharing AppPath App Review
Is there an app that's more popular or commonplace than FaceBook other than maybe Google. If you don't know what Facebook is, then you probably have been living under a rock. It's the backbone and number one social networking app on the Internet. Hundreds of millions of people use this app to interact with friends and family, share updates, post photos, text, chat, comment on posts, read the news, stay informed with cultural or political events, follow sports, invite others to your party, create themed pages and so much more. It's almost the essential form of social interaction these days.
- Communicate with friends and family
- Play games, watch videos, read articles
- Share, follow and like posts
- Play games through Facebook apps
- Keep tabs on what all of your friends are doing
Perhaps, the only app to approach Facebook's level of popularity is Twitter. Express what you have to say in 140 characters or less. Share links to articles, events and more. Post pictures or videos for others to see. Hashtags are huge with this app to follow events, people, themes and more. In fact, Twitter popularized the hashtag and made it an everyday term. Message people directly, follow your favorite celebrities or quickly interact in the latest social trends from around the world. Retweet other tweets if you like them and want to share them with your followers.
- Only 140 characters for a post
- Tweet, Retweet or message directly
- Use hashtags to follow topics
- Interact with others via hashtags
- Follow friends, family and celebrities
Journals network is the perfect way to keep track of your life. Leave daily entries and photos so that you can save and recall the best moments of your life. You can find new or old friends and follow them. If you want to share your journal entries you can, but what you share is up to you. Receive advice whenever you need it from friends and followers using the built-in chat function. This app emphasizes and encourages kindness, collaboration, and compassion.
- Create one photo and one entry for everyday
- Find and make new friends
- Share your journals and receive advice
- Chat functionality
- Encourages kindness, collaboration, and compassion
For some of us health and fitness is a big part of our lives, or at least we’d like it to be. BodySpace turns your healthy lifestyle into a social media experience. You can access the advices of professional trainers, and interact with a vast fitness community by creating friends and following popular members. Choose from dozens of training programs, set goals for yourself, record your experience levels, and share for motivation. There are instructional videos as well as step-by-step instructions. You can even track your stats and save them to your Apple Health App.
- Personal trainer and fitness community with friends and followers
- Choose from dozens of training programs created by professionals
- Set goals, experience levels, gender, and much more
- Instructional videos and step-by-step instructions
- Track all your stats and share them with the Apple Health App
Ivy is a social media app designed to keep you in touch with what’s going on around you. You can post your favorite interesting pics and deep thoughts with your friends and followers. This is a location based service so it creates your feed from events and posts from those in your actual area. The focus is on posts from your friends and those you follow, but it will also post the most popular posts from anyone in your vicinity. Ivy also includes a secure direct messaging function.
- Post interesting pics and deep thoughts
- Set and access the pulse of what’s going on around you
- Location based service keeps you tapped in to what’s happening locally
- Feed includes the best posts from friends and others in your local area
- Private and secure direct messaging is available
This app is all about having a place to share your favorite things with your friends and family members. Over time you’re bound to have some posts that you love and want to save for later and you can store these in the vault so they’re always available. If you find a post that interests you, one tap will give you instant access to that information. You can also explore featured content, trending content, and curated collections. The app also has an interactive map for discovering where something is actually happening.
- Share your favorite things
- Share your favorite posts in the vault
- One tap access to any interesting post
- Explore featured and trending content, as well as curated collections
- Use the map to discover where something is happening
Many social media apps are simply poor imitations of the world’s most popular apps, but not Super! This is an app designed to let you explore your more creative side. You can create and share your works of art and use them to express your opinion. Of course you get to share these posts with friends and listen to their feedback. When you find a post someone else has created that you like you can recommend it as well. The app has a great user interface that’s simple, but extremely functional.
- User friendly interface
- Create opinions with works of art
- Connect with friends and share your creations
- Recommend your favorite image posts
- Familiar chat and like features
Some social media apps are just plain fun and that’s an apt description of We Heart It. This app is about sharing the things that you love with your friends and family. You can create your own collections and share them with anyone you want. There are also custom channels you can join to find your favorite content and you can even create your own. The app also allows you to watch and share videos, connect and share with other social media apps, and send and receive messages from friends and followers.
- Collect and share the things that you love
- Join or create custom channels
- Watch and share videos
- Connect and share with other social media apps such as Facebook and Twitter
- Send messages and communicate with followers
On a hot summer night Fireflies act as a sort of beacon that can illuminate some of the world around you – at least in small doses. That’s what the Firefly app is designed to do as well. You can watch your friends in real time on an interactive map as they move around the world and they can track you as well. Don’t worry though – you have full control of where and when you’re visible on the map. If you don’t want to be found you can simply turn the Firefly light off. The app also includes direct messaging functionality.
- Watch friends move in real time
- Full privacy control – you control when you turn the Firefly light on or off
- Get directions to where your friends are
- Leave status updates with the interactive map
- Direct messaging functionality
Letterboxd is a focused social media app. In a nutshell, it’s a social media app for film lovers. It allows you to browse through a database of highly rated and anticipated films and leave your own ratings and reviews. There’s plenty of information on the cast and crew of each film as well. If you prefer you can follow others and read their opinions on the hottest films and find out if a movie sounds worth checking out. You can view their full member profiles, follow them, and even interact with them.
- A social network for film lovers
- Browse through a database of highly rated and anticipated films
- Log films with your own ratings and reviews
- Access cast and crew information
- View member profiles, follow, and interact with them
Of all the social media apps on this list Chummy has to be one of the most positive ones. This app is simply a great idea as it encourages people to help others. Social media can be far too negative sometimes and this is a place you can go if you’ve had enough of that type of thing. With this app you can help others with routine daily problems and receive their help in turn when you need it. The more you help others, the higher your kindness levels grow. When someone nearby needs help you’ll receive notifications and if you have the expertise to help them you can jump right in. It has the familiar chat and like features you’ll find in other social media apps, and it uses GPS map integration to find and share with people close by.
- Chummy is the social media app for help with routine daily problems
- Watch your kindness levels grow the more you help out
- Receive notifications when someone nearby needs help
- Uses GPS map integration to map and share with people close by
- Familiar Like and Chat features
The creators of Foursquare have put out another stellar app that allows users to connect with others while they are out on the town. It's an easy and fast way to connect, then meet up with friends or coworkers. You can also use it to see who's nearby and potentially meet up with some new people. Share what you're doing by checking in where ever you are. This app is also a fun way to come up with some impromptu ideas for you and your friends like check out a bar or new club. You will need to allow this app access to your Location services function.
- Quickly check out which friends are nearby
- Make plans with nearby friends
- Share your status and location
- Potentially meet up with new people
- GPS enable app