Chicago is the third-most populous city in the U.S. and a beautiful metropolis with many things to see and do there. Whether you are visiting or a resident of the Windy City, there are tons of apps dedicated to making it easier to get around, stay on top of local news and events, find places to go, discover restaurants, and more. Check out our list of the best Chicago apps for iPhone.
The best Chicago apps for iPhone
2 May 2020, by Matt Tennison
Chicago Travel Guide is an app that lays out everything you might need as a tourist in Chicago. You’ll find the best restaurants, pubs and clubs, day trip destinations, hotels, and more. You can book hotels directly from the app and there’s an offline map available. The developers pull content from sites like Wikipedia, Wikitravel, Openstreetmap, and World66 and mix it all up to make relevant travel guides. There’s a detailed sightseeing section with all of the monuments of the city and the travel guide is full of background info on Chicago.
- Lists the city’s best restaurants
- Offline map
- Book hotels from the app
- Sightseeing section
- Free with in-app purchases
One of the most commonly annoying choices to make these days is deciding where to eat. This app, which covers Chicago and many other cities, helps you find the perfect spot in town that will be ideal for Date Night, Girls' Night Out, or Dinner with the Parents, among other scenarios. The best part is that all the reviews have been written by a team of unbiased editors who check out restaurants without informing them of their presence, making it an unbiased source of information.
- Serves Chicago and a dozen other cities
- Look for the ideal spot suited to various situations
- Thousands of curated reviews
- Anonymous and unbiased reviews from editorial team
- Free restaurant app
Commuters, tourists and travelers will find this app extremely useful. Live bus and train times, step-by-step navigation, stop announcements, service alerts and more. In this release, we’re giving you an easy way to transfer your saved stops and locations to Whiz, our new and improved app that has all the great features you know and love, and so much more.
- Live directions – plan your trip with up to five ways to your destination
- Live countdown boards for buses and trains
- See exactly where you bus or train is right now
- Service Alerts - Find out about delays and diversions before you leave
- Save your favorite stops and stations
- Full seven-day schedules
The Is Metra Late app allows you to check on Metra delays in just a couple of seconds. The app tracks train delays with route auto-detection so you can see stats on all of your upcoming trains. It saves your work and home stations and switches routes intelligently based on your location. You are able to see past performance stats, departed trains’ progress, and upcoming trains. The app works with the Today widget and it’s even faster to check if you have an Apple Watch. With a one-time purchase you can add support for multiple routes and receive real-time notifications.
- Supports all lines in the Metra railway system
- Takes two seconds to check delays
- Saves your work and home stations
- Check on delays with the Today View widget
- Free with in-app purchases
The ParkChicago app lets you pay for metered street parking in Chicago. This makes it so much easier and more convenient to pay for parking while you’re out and about, without having to visit a pay box. Just look for the ParkChicago logo on street signs found throughout the city to figure out availability in your area. This is a pilot program that exchanges your dashboard receipt and pay box with your phone and license plate. You get notifications to extend your parking time. To use the app, you may receive a text or call to get your 3-digit code.
- See information about your active parking session
- Easily extend your parking time
- Use your phone and license plate to pay for parking
- Pilot project to replace pay boxes
- Free Chicago parking app
Seamless offers you a way to order food delivery from local restaurants with just a few taps. You won’t have to call to place an order ever again! The app makes it fast and easy to order from tons of different restaurants with up-to-date menus. No matter if you’re in the mood for Thai, Chinese, sushi, or pizza, you can get it with this app. You can keep track of the progress of your order with the app’s food tracker and get a delivery time so you can know when to get the table set. Seamless works in cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, and Boston.
- Order whatever kind of food you want
- See up-to-date menus
- Lots of restaurants listed
- Food tracker monitors your progress
- Free Chicago app for iPhone
The Chicago Bears Official App is the official mobile app of the Chicago Bears. You will have access to live scoring, team stats, and information on every play. You will stay on top of breaking news, see real-time stats for every drive, and read in-game blogs. You will get video of Bears’ press conferences, real-time play-by-play, a depth chart, an injury report, and division and conference standings. You will also have a schedule for upcoming games and the stats and scores of previous games from the season.
- Real-time breaking news
- Keep track of your fantasy team
- Video and photos
- Aggregated Twitter feed
Want some beer, wine, or spirits, but don’t want to go get it yourself? Saucey allows you to order alcohol to be delivered directly to your location. Just pick out what you want, check out with the card you have on file, and your courier will e at your door within 40 minutes. This is so far the only alcohol delivery app with its own couriers, so they promise a better experience. All couriers are friendly locals who have been chosen, trained, and certified by Saucey. Use the app for tailgate parties, office events, BBQs, after-parties, and nights in.
- Order wine, beer, or liquor
- Have it delivered by courier within 40 minutes
- Friendly local couriers
- Check out with the card you have on file with the app
- Free Chicago app for iPhone
Via is a way to get around Chicago and New York City. You get to take a shared ride in a premium vehicle driven by an actual chauffeur for as little as $3.95 in Chicago and $5 in NYC when you prepay. This is an on-demand transit app that is cheaper than a taxi, better than the bus, and smarter than the subway. You can use Via for a ride anywhere in the West Loop, Loop, Lincoln Park, River North, and Lakeview areas. You can ride weekdays anytime between 6:30 am to 9 pm, and all rides except between 9 am and 5 pm and 6:30 pm to 9 pm are $3.95. Rides during those Peak hours are $4.95.
- Costs only a few dollars more than the bus
- Ride weekdays from 6:30 am to 9 pm
- Rides on off-Peak hours are $3.95
- Rides during Peak hours are $4.95
- Keep riding for the lowest price when you pre-pay