Whether you have taken it upon yourself to learn piano for the very first time or you simply want to see what interesting tunes you can come up with on your iPad, the piano apps on this list are sure to have you twinkling away to your heart's content. In this list you will find everything from educational piano apps to piano apps that are just there to provide a little fun from time to time.
The best piano apps for iPad
11 Aug 2021, by Cherry Mae Torrevillas
The Virtual Piano app is designed to Create Your Own Music, Save It, Mix It and Share it With Friends and Family. This Piano app for iPad is 100% Free. Free Virtual Piano in Your Hands, Create Your Own Music, Save It, Mix It and Share it With Friends and Family and It's 100% Free.
- Easy to create your own music
- Save your music
- Share your music with friends and family
- Sounds like a piano
The Flowkey – Learn piano app is a new addition to our best apps for learning the piano on your iPad list. Suitable for beginners and advanced pianists, it works we will your real piano or keyboard, acoustic or electronic. It has a very strong rating in iTunes with an average 4.7-star feedback from more than 16,000 users. What we really like is that they respond to feedback in the comments section with in-depth explanations. Flowkey app review
- Hundreds of songs from a wide selection of genre. Pop to classical
- Interactive instructions on reading, playing and practicing
- High-quality video tutorials
- Endorsed my millions of users
Learn to play piano with this app. With this piano app for iPad, you can also become a better musician and develop your ability to play by ear.
Given a melody, can you play it back or play along? Start with a few notes and build up until you've mastered the song. It is suitable for all ages (kids to adults) and for all abilities (beginner to advanced).
- Learn to play your favorite songs on the piano by playing back the melody
- Over 1000 songs to learn from different eras and genres.
- Highly configurable piano (multitouch, glissando, highlighting, note labels)
- Resizable piano suitable for all.
This music learning app is designed with an intuitive and interactive users interface. There’s a clean look and great touch controls to ensure a pleasant experience. The app will teach you scale and chord progression for the piano. You can play these in ascending, descending or harmonically. The chords and scales are also shown on a piano or music sheet. So, learn how to read the music sheet and how to play the chords at the same time. Root notes and inversion of chords can be changed and the app includes interactive circle of fifths. Learn, explore and enjoy various combinations of scales and chords.
- Clean design, Intuitive and interactive interface
- Learn scales and chords on a piano
- Learn scales and chords on a music sheet
- Ascending, Descending and Harmonious scales and chords
- Easily change root note and inversion chords
The Simply Piano app by JoyTunes is one of the originals in this category and has won many awards over the years, not least being selected as an “Editors’ choice” in iTunes. Learn the basics, step by step with courses for all levels. With ratings from almost 150,000 users, averaging an astounding 4.7 stars, the app has proven very popular. You can even turn your iPad in to an on-screen keyboard if you don’t have a real piano.
- Start as an absolute beginner
- Ability to slow down songs until you master them
- Don’t need your own piano to get started
- Suitable for all ages and ability levels
If you are serious about learning and practicing sight reading then download this app immediately. It’s designed to mimic look and feel of real sheet music, which makes it a natural and smooth transition between the app and a real sheet. The app has a simple interface that makes it easier to learn and master. Progressive lessons for both treble and bass, real piano sounds, optional visual aids, hints for when you are stuck, note values for keys and more. Users from all over the world are touting how effective and enjoyable this app really is.
- Learn and practice sight reading
- Mimics real sheet music, Easy transition from app to real
- Real piano sounds, Hints for when you are stuck
- Note values for keys, progressive lessons
- Simple interface, easy to use app, fun way to learn
This piano iPad app is one of the most popular piano apps on the iOS. The 3D graphics are awesome, there’s a realistic piano sound, over 750 songs in the library, audio and audiobus support, a multi-touch 87-key keyboard that fills up the screen, built-in audio and video recorder, differentiate between left hand and right hand, full midi support, import midi files, share your songs, record live playing and even slow down or pause the song to learn at a pace that’s best for you. There are in-app purchases for subscriptions and the full version. You can see more in-depth details about these features in our app review. The Piano app review
- Awesome 3D graphics
- 87-key keyboard that fills the screen
- Midi support and sharing, 750 song library
- Record via audio or video
- In-app purchases for full version
This great piano app for the iPad serves a dual purpose of educating and entertaining, with a variety of different voices to choose from and the ability to record your songs so that you can share them with your friends and family online. This is certainly one of the simpler developments in the genre of piano apps for iPad, but there are some great features on offer here. Be sure to check out the different sound effects because you will be amazed by just how much inspiration can be gained from experimentation with different sounds. Piano™ HD App Review
- Learn to play piano in a fun casual manner
- Adjust the keyboard to find the octaves you want
- Choose from a handful of different sounds including harp and guitar
- Record your musical creations
- Share your recorded songs with others online
Those of you who enjoy playing dance mat games or similar games like Guitar Hero will find Piano Tutorial for Popular Songs by OnlinePianist very appealing as it follows the same concept of falling notes identifying which keys you need to play next. With this app you can practice your technique with each individual hand, as well as perfecting your rhythm with an integrated metronome, learning different chords on piano, or simply jumping in at the deep end and trying your hand at full popular songs. Turning the learning experience into a game makes for a far more approachable experience for beginners and children. For more on this app, check out our review.
- Learn to play your favorite contemporary and classical songs
- Includes a Beginner Mode for first-time players
- Adjust the speed and use the metronome to perfect your rhythm
- Master concepts such as sustain, transposition, and more
- Includes individual hand practice to refine your technique
Yokee’s Piano app for the iPad guarantees that you will be playing like a pro within seconds of using this app. There’s a great songbook with many songs from popular musical genres from kids’ tunes to classical masterpieces. Choose which difficulty level to play the song at, get achievements, unlock more songs, previews of songs, challenge your friends and more. There’s a great tutorial to help you use this app, which is very easy to navigate. This app does have a subscription to access the VIP catalog with options for weekly or monthly. Additionally, the subscription is automatically renewed unless you turn it off.
- Play like a pro in no time
- Popular songs from many great genres
- Choose level of difficulty, Challenge friends
- Earn achievements, Unlock more songs, Preview songs
- Subscriptions for VIP song catalog, Auto-renewal
Whether you want to learn the piano, practice or play some songs for friends and family, this wonderful piano app for your iPad is a great option for the budding or advanced pianist. It features a full 88-key keyboard with 5 different instruments: piano, grand piano, pipe organ, harpsichord, and accordion. You can choose between a single or dual scrollable keyboard, supports audiobus and an inter-app audio which you can send to different apps like GarageBand and there’s even a MIDI keyboard. Record a song and share it with others. This app is easily the most realistic piano playing experience on the iPad due to its groundbreaking 3D Touch technology that recognizes how long you are touching the screen and playing a note. Piano by Gismart app review
- Full 88-key keyboard
- 5 different instruments to play
- Choose between single or dual keyboard
- Audiobus and Inter-App audio
- Record and share your song
- 3D Touch that makes this the most realistic piano playing app
This iPad piano app is a powerful companion tool with a vast library of chords and scales that you can find by name or keys. There are over 1500 piano chords up to 6th inversions, 10,000 scales, 12 root keys, chord progression builder with scale patterns, interactive circle of fifths, MIDI keyboard and outputs, key notations in different languages, show chords and scales with treble or bass clef, compatible chords and so much more. In fact, the word “powerful” might be underselling this app. Create your own chord libraries and charts, save your favorite scales, and choose from one of the in-app purchases to enhance this awesome app.
- Over 1500 piano chords, Chord progression builder
- Over 10,000 scales, 12 root keys
- MIDI keyboard and outputs
- Different keys languages, Compatible chords, Suggestions
- In-app purchases